Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Local Hike to Mount Crescent


Keeping it local I drove over to Randolph for a hike to the summit of Mount Crescent. This would be my first time hiking to this summit. It's a short hike with some spectacular views. My first choice for a hike today was Percy Peaks but the gate was closed.

I was getting a late start after my first hike was a no go but it's local and a short hike. I drove up through the Randolph neighborhood past some very nice homes on my way to the trailhead. I arrived to find very little parking available, maybe two cars in the designated area. Luckily I was the only one there.

There was a few spotty patches of snow as I started up the trail. As I got into the open woods I had to pay close attention to the trail blazes as the path was sometimes obscure. I arrived at the start of the loop around the summit and this is where the trail snow started.

I turned right and went up counter clock-wise. I soon found that gaiters and microspikes would be necessary as the snow was getting deeper and slippery. There was some steep icy sections that were quite tricky getting up and over. The trail does not go to the summit but skirts around the backside of it. There is a short spur path to a northern view.

I kept following the trail around and started to descend. It brought me to a south view that looks across to the northern Presidential summits. I ate lunch here on ledge and then continued my descent. It was challenging coming down off this steep ledge, halfway down was nothing but ice. I went out and around this ice in order to get down safely.

Further down the trail I met my first and only other hiker today. We talked at a safe distance for a few minutes before I continued on down and he continued up. I completed the loop and took off the gaiters and microspikes. It was bare ground from here back to the trailhead one mile away.

It was a warm and pleasant hike back down, a great day to be out in the mountains!

Enjoy the photos and video!

 Mount Crescent my hiking destination for today

 Trailhead

 First patch of snow just after leaving the trailhead


 Crossing a forest road


 First patch of ice but easy to get around

 Arriving at the loop that goes up and around the summit

 I went counter clockwise on the loop

 Put my gaiters and  microspikes on here and testing the firmness of the snow

 Diminishing monorail but there was a lot more snow ahead

The woods are full of snow

Icicles

Looking back down on a steep icy section that I just came up

 Partial blowdown


 North view



 Widow maker directly over the center of the trail


 South view

 Mount Madison

 Mount Adams

 Mount Jefferson

 Mount Lafayette

 Enjoying the view

Descending a very tricky icy ledge

Looking back up at the icy ledge 

The moose was here

The loop is complete

Back down to bare ground

A group of old 'shrooms


Castleview Rock


The view from Castleview Rock

Trillium about to bloom

Trailside phone

A wet section just before arriving back at the trailhead





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment