Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Hall's Ledge Trail and Hutmen's Trail Loop Hike


Today's hike would take me up the Hall's Ledge Trail to a couple of views both north and south. I would then follow the trail down the other side almost to the Carter Notch Road. Before getting to the road I would cross over to the Hutmen's Trail that is also the Dana Place ski trail and at a certain point bushwhack back over to the Hall's Ledge Trail and back down to Route 16. There was a beautiful day in the weather forecast with warm temps and sunshine.

I parked at the Rocky Branch trailhead parking lot. It was a short road walk down Route 16 to the Hall's Ledge trailhead beside the Ellis River. It's an easy start to the hike that soon begins a steep ascent. The hardwood forest is wide open and I had to pay close attention to the blazed trail.

There was a few patches of snow at about 2,300' with continuous trail snow at 2,400'. The snow was solid and there was no postholing. I did not need the gaiters or microspikes. At the north view there was a picnic table with a view of Mount Washington. I stayed long enough for photos before moving up the trail.

The trail turned into a forest road and I was soon out of the snow as I arrived at the south view that also had a picnic table. This is a very well maintained area with a nicely groomed field. A few more pics and I started my descent on a road that I could have easily driven my car up without any problem.

As I was descending I met two hikers coming up the road, the only two I met all day. One of the hikers is what I consider to be hiking royalty, Jon Burroughs. He is responsible for compiling and editing two versions of the AMC White Mountains Guide, he is also the first person to redline the guide. In other words he has hiked every trail in the AMC White Mountains Guide, a very daunting feat! We spoke for a few minutes, at a safe distance, and he told me which trail to take in order to reach the Hutmen's Trail and continue to complete my loop.

I came around a bend in the road and a large bull moose jumped out in front of me. He was startled to see me quickly running down into the woods and was soon out of sight. I didn't even have time to pull out my camera. I continued down until I came to the junction Jon told me about and took the Quail Trail over to the Hutmen's Trail. All of this was on very well maintained forest roads although there was one washed out culvert that will need to be fixed. There was a couple of forks in the road/trail where I had to check my GPS after walking down what I thought was the right choice, I was spot on.

I veered off the Hutmen's Trail onto the Dana Place XC ski trail. This trail makes a hairpin turn and it was here that I started a bushwhack back to the Hall's Ledge Trail. I pulled out my compass and maintained a course along the 1,400' contour line. This worked well and took me right back to the Hall's Ledge Trail to complete the loop and down to Route 16.

It was a short road walk back to the parking area and the hike was done. This was my first time hiking in this area. I had no idea that the cross country ski trails were so extensive, it would definitely be a good winter workout. This was an interesting and fun hike through some beautiful country!

Enjoy the photos and video!

There's a lot of snow on the high summits

If not for the virus pandemic Wildcat might still be open with top to bottom skiing

Crossing Route 16 to get to the trailhead

The hike starts here

Sun shining on a small pond as I pass by

Open woods as I head up the trail

Wildflowers were blooming

Fiddleheads

Big burl

Would've been very difficult to follow the trail without the blazes

Northern wood sorrell blooming

Following moose tracks

Lots of snow through here but no postholing

Picnic table with a view

View of Mount Washington

Took advantage of the picnic table

Trail becomes a forest road

Another picnic table with a southern view

Last stretch of snow for this hike

Old cellar foundation

The moose was here


A view from the trail


Apple orchard

Found these daffodils in the apple orchard

Following Quail Trail on my way to the Hutmen's Trail

Bear scat



Some road erosion

This garter snake was moving fast to get away from me

I walked up on this apple orchard that is far out in the middle of the forest

Unusual fungus

On the Dana Place XC ski trail

Starting the bushwhack back to the Hall's Ledge Trail

Crossing a brook on the bushwhack

Ellis River

Route 16

Salt stalactites hang from under the bridge

A short road walk back to the parking lot

Relaxing back at the Rocky Branch trailhead parking lot





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment