Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, October 26, 2019

Wet and Muddy Hike to the Hancocks


Summits: Hancock (4,420'), South Hancock (4,319')
Trail route: Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, Hancock Loop
Trail conditions: Wet, muddy and slippery
Weather: Cool, comfortable temps, partly sunny
Total miles: 10
Total time:  6 hours

There was a one day window of opportunity this weekend with rain yesterday and rain again on Sunday in the forecast, Saturday would be the pick day for hiking. I decided to hike two summits today and I needed the Hancocks for October. So it was off to the Kancamagus Highway and the Hancock Outlook where I would start my hike.

I was tired from the work week so I was starting the hike a little later than usual. Skies were clearing as I drove to the trailhead. There was a bit of a miscalculation on my part, when I arrived at the parking lot it was full and I had to park on the road. I had driven by three trailhead parking lots and noticed that there was plenty of parking still available so I was surprised to see the Hancock Outlook parking lot full.

I met a hiker at the trailhead and we started talking. We ended up hiking for about a mile before I told him that I would need to slow down a bit so he continued on and was soon out of sight. I would meet him again on the trail, he was coming down from North Hancock as I was going up. He was moving super fast as he had already done South and North Hancocks and would soon complete the loop. I knew early in the hike that I would not be keeping up with him.

The trails were very wet with some very muddy sections. This in turn made the roots and rocks slippery so careful footing was required. The numerous water crossings were easily crossed without a problem. I would be doing the North Peak first. Halfway up I started seeing patches of snow and branches covered in snow. This presented a slight problem when the sun came out and it started to melt the snow off the branches as if it were raining.

I reached the summit and made my way to the outlook for a few photos and video. There was a group ahead of me and the gray jays were swarming as they fed them. I didn't stay long and continued on to South Hancock. I had put my waterproof layer on and glad I did as I was brushing past snow covered branches, I would've been soaked. 

At South Hancock I quickly went to the outlook to get some photos before other hikers arrived. There's not much room for many hikers on this outlook and one was already there. I got my photos and went up to the summit to make room for the other hikers that were behind me. I had a quick bite to eat then started my descent. It was all downhill from here.

I dropped down off the steep section and completed the loop at the trail junction. It is a gradual descent back to the trailhead from here. I had forgotten how wet and muddy this section of trail was on the way in and it was getting tiresome trying to watch my step on slippery roots and rocks on the way out. I made it back without slipping or falling.

There were many more hikers on the trail than I had expected but it was a great day to be out there. These two summits brought me over 60% completion of the grid that I'm working on. I have now hiked 346 of 576 summits. Next weekend I will be working on my November hikes and the journey continues!

Enjoy the photos and videos!


A clearing sky on the drive to the trailhead 

At the Hancock Outlook

Heading for the trailhead 


Water crossing 


Low water made for easy crossings 


 A nice section of forest


 Another water crossing





Arrow Slide 


Zooming in on the Arrow Slide 


This brook is usually dry


 Tree full of berries


Bunch of berries 


A view of South Hancock from the trail 


Snowy spruce


Winding my way through snowy limbs


South Hancock


A view from the North Hancock outlook


On the summit of North Hancock


Snowy ridge


Somewhere between North and South Hancocks


A favorite tree on the ridge


Recent trail maintenance due to blowdowns


More trail maintenance


Bog bridges were appreciated


Slush on the bog bridges


View from the South Hancock outlook


Mount Carrigain


Hikers on the Mount Carrigain observation tower


A view of the Arrow Slide while descending South Hancock


The Loop is complete now 3.6 miles to the parking lot


Wet trail


Muddy trail


Wet and muddy section of trail with lots of slippery rocks and roots


Log with a ghoulish grin



End of the trail is up ahead


View from the parking lot


View from Bear Notch Road on the way home


Another snowy summit from Bear Notch Road


Arriving home after sunset







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment