Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, October 5, 2019

Fall Hike to the Tripyramids


Summits: North Tripyramid (4,180'), Middle Tripyramid  (4,140')
Trail route: Pine Bend Brook Trail
Trail conditions: Mostly dry ground with some ice-coated rocks at higher elevations
Weather: Cool morning temps, clear blue sky and full sunshine
Total miles: 9.6
Total time:  6:30 hours

There was cool temps, clear skies and full sunshine in the forecast, spectacular weather for a Fall hike. Foliage is at or near peak and it would be a great day for leaf peeping along the trail. The drive this morning was dark almost to the trailhead when the sky started to brighten up. I was on the trail without needing the headlamp. It was definitely a cool, crisp morning and I was bundled up with three layers, gloves and warm hat. A good morning for breathing in that cool mountain air. It would not be until I got far up the trail before I would see the sun.

As I got up in elevation there was ice formations on the trail. A little further and I saw icicles hanging off the ledges I was passing by. When I arrived at the summit of North Tripyramid there was a large frozen puddle. So it was a cold morning! At the summit outlook there was not a cloud to be seen. Mount Washington was in the distance and it looked like the summit cone was coated in ice. A few pics and I was on my way to Middle Tripyramid.

It was a pleasant hike over to the next summit. There was a good view of Waterville Valley/Mount Tecumseh and the Osceolas. The foliage was looking spectacular! A few more steps and I was on the summit of Middle Tripyramid with a view to the east. I could see Mount Passaconaway and Mount Chocorua beyond that. There was not a cloud to be seen anywhere in the sky. I had the summit to myself but I could here hikers on their way up. A few photos and I stated my return trip to the trailhead.

I met many hikers on my way back to North Tripyramid. I didn't stop long on this summit before I started my descent, it was all downhill from here. The temperature was getting warmer as I hiked down the Pine Bend Brook Trail. On the steep sections of trail I was carefully stepping down over the rocks and ledges as some were slick . It was a great hike back out to the trailhead without any slips or falls.

Today turned out to be the beautiful Fall day that was in the forecast. It was a spectacular day to hike the Tripyramids!

Enjoy the photos!

 The hike starts here from the Kancamagus Highway

 Lots of burls on this trail

 Water crossings not a problem

 Berries and ferns



 Fungus

 Ice on the trail

 Frozen mushroom

 Icicles already starting to form

 More frozen mushrooms


 Frozen puddle on the North Tripyramid summit

 View between the trees on North Tripyramid

 Zooming into Mount Washington

 View from North Tripyramid

 Another view from North Tripyramid

 On the summit of North Tripyramid

 Sabbaday Brook Trail junction

 Waterville Valley from  middle Tripyramid

 The Osceolas

 View of the foliage down below

 View to the east from Middle Tripyramid

 Zooming into the summit of Mount Chocorua

 New growth in an old blowdown area

 Another frozen mushroom

 Pitchy cones

 Black shroom

 Mossy entrance to someone's home

 Walking along the ridgeline

 A view through the trees 

 Leafy path

 Blue sky through Fall leaves

 Sun between the leaves

 Leaves brighten the trail

 Bunch of freckled mushrooms

 A look back up at the foliage

 More leaf peeping

 Hobblebush leaves

 Fall colors

 A favorite burl

 Another burl

Trailhead and the Kancamagus Highway are in sight



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment