Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, November 2, 2019

A Hike to Ike in November


Summits: Mount Eisenhower (4,780')
Trail route: Edmands Path
Trail conditions: Dry, wet, muddy, icy 
Weather: Cool, comfortable temps, blue sky and full sunshine
Total miles: 6.6
Total time:  5 hours

After recent heavy rain and sub-freezing temperatures I was expecting some interesting trail conditions. A beautiful day was forecast with cool temps and sunshine. The Edmands Path is one of my favorite trails and I was looking forward to an enjoyable hike!

Skies were clear on the drive to the trailhead. As I was driving down the Cog Railway Base Road there was a flooded bog that was flowing across the road. That was the first time I had seen that. As I drove through and exited the water the road was icy on the other side from previous traffic.

I arrived at the trailhead to an almost full parking lot. There were several hikers about to start their hike. Didn't take me long to get ready and I was on the trail. It was a nice cool morning and I arrived at the first and only significant water crossing. The water was running slightly high. There were some wet rocks that looked like they might be ice coated so I used a nearby small log to cross on. I had no problem crossing.

Further up the trail I came up on the section of trail that I was concerned about at the start of the hike. There is a brook that flows over a ledge then across the trail. There was significant ice on the rocks and almost everything was slippery. I thought I could navigate up without my microspikes but really should have had them on. It got very icy on the ledges that I had to climb up. I was on hands and knees grabbing ice covered rocks. Luckily it was a short section and the trail started to level out.

I soon found that flowing water was my friend. There was less of a chance that there was any ice in the water. But previous hikers stepping out of the water onto the rocks resulted in the water immediately freezing causing an additional slipping hazard. I took my time and managed to watch my footing and keep from falling. I eventually came to dry trail and rocks.

There was a steady breeze as I made my way up the summit dome. I reached the summit with hikers coming and going from both directions of the loop. The breeze was cool but the full sunshine felt warm. I spent some time taking some pics and talking with other hikers. The views were spectacular in every direction!

I started my descent from the summit and it was all downhill from here. I put my rock spikes on when I reached the icy section of trail. When I arrived at the steep section there was a bit of a traffic jam of hikers coming up. Some had traction and some did not but it was beginning to get very time consuming. I finally just dropped down and passed by the ascending hikers. I removed my traction just past this tricky section of trail.

It was smooth going from here. The temperature was beginning to warm up and there was no breeze. It was an enjoyable hike back to the trailhead. The conditions were just about what I expected they would be today. The ice on the higher sections of the trail warned of the approaching winter. So with interesting trail conditions, great weather and amazing views it was a spectacular day to be above treeline!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Clear sky over Madison and Adams on the drive to the trailhead 


Sun coming up over the mountains 


Sunshine on the Mount Washington summit cone

A flooded bog flows across Base Road 

Mount Eisenhower from Base Road 


The hike starts here 


Water crossing with what looked like icy rocks


 I crossed on this small log


 Vernal pool reflection


From a distance this looked like snow but it was tree pitch 


Morning sun through the trees


Asters


Stone gate


Icicles forming


Ice and flowing water on this ledge


A very icy and tough section of trail


A section of dry trail


Flowing water over ice on the trail


A framed view from the trail


A view toward the northern Presidential summits


Mount Washington



Almost above treeline


Above treeline


A frozen Red Pond


Mount Eisenhower summit dome


Looking down on Red Pond


Going up the summit dome

The dogs join me for a summit pic


Summit cairn


View to the south


View to the north


View to the east

View to the west

Looking down on Mount Pierce with Mount Willey beyond


Starting my descent

Descending the Edmands Path


Cog train


More ice

An area of blowdowns


Flowing water on the trail


Sunny section of trail


Crossing the log over a brook


Back at the trailhead


Mount Washington on the drive home


A look back at Mount Eisenhower








Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



2 comments: