Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Monday, October 12, 2020

Mount Moosilauke via Gorge Brook Trail


Summit: Mount Moosilauke (4,802')
Trail route: Ravine Lodge Road, Gorge Brook Trail
Trail conditions: Dry, a few wet areas and some minor avoidable ice
Weather: Cool, partly cloudy to sunny, cool breeze on the summit
Total miles: 8.5
Total time: 4:50

With favorable weather in the forecast it looked like a good morning for a hike up Mount Moosilauke. I got an early start anticipating lots of hikers on this holiday Monday.

I arrived at the Ravine Lodge Road parking area and was surprised to be the first one there. I was hoping I might be the first one on the summit so I got started on the road walk to the trailhead. It was a pleasant hike up the Gorge Brook Trail. Just below the summit I added a windproof layer as there was a cool breeze blowing.

As I stepped up onto the top of Mount Moosilauke I did a 360° scan and saw no one else on or approaching the summit. This is very unusual and I knew it wouldn't last long so I got my photos and video before any other hikers arrived. The views were spectacular! A few minutes later I saw two hikers approaching the summit. I started my descent back down the Gorge Brook Trail.

On the way down there were many hikers coming up as I expected there would be. It was an enjoyable hike down and I was glad to have gotten an early start and had the summit to myself. Back at the parking area the cars were lined up far down the road. With superb weather, amazing views and the first half of the hike to myself it was a beautiful morning for a hike to Mount Moosilauke.

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Just before sunrise on the drive to the hike

The first one in the parking area this morning

Doing the road walk to the trailhead

Ravine Lodge

The hike starts here








First view from the trail

Veiled sun


Ice on the trail

Cranberry

Frosty trees

The summit is up ahead

On the summit

Enjoying the views

South Peak

West view

North view
East view

Ice formation

Descending




Back at the trailhead

A view from the road walk

Fire red leaves

Parking area is full and vehicles are parked far down the road




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment