Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, October 10, 2020

Bushwhack? to PATN


Summit: Peak Above the Nubble (3,813')
Trail route: Bushwhack herd path to the summit
Trail conditions: Mostly dry with some blowdowns near the summit
Weather: Warm with a cool breeze, cloudy to sunny skies
Total miles: 3.6
Total time:  3:26

I was looking for a short hike on an uncrowded trail today. I decided to do Peak Above the Nubble which is on the New England Hundred Highest list. This is a bushwhack to the summit and I was anticipating there would be very few hikers here unlike all the other main trails in the White Mountains that would probably be very crowded on this holiday weekend.

There was one vehicle parked at FR 304A when I arrived. There is parking available for about four vehicles. I was soon heading up the fire road, past the sand dune and a right turn at the small cairn onto the herd path. There is a very prominent, well worn herd path that is easy to follow with just a few areas that require a second look to verify you're going in the right direction.

As the path gets closer to the summit there is some blowdowns to work through and around but not bad. I arrived at the summit and the sun was shining. The temperature had warmed up nicely and there was a cool breeze to keep it comfortable. When I left the house this morning the temperature was 41°, at the summit it was 63°!

I was able to open the canister and signed the register. I then moved on to the outlook. There are spectacular views from here. There was another hiker here that I had met earlier and we sat and talked hiking for awhile enjoying the views and having a snack. I got my photos and video and then started my descent.

It was a pleasant hike down. I passed by seven hikers that were on their way up so a total of eight hikers were on the trail today which I didn't consider a crowd. When I got down to the sand dune I went up the very loose, steep grade to the top and was rewarded with a nice view.

I did not consider this much of a bushwhack as there is a very noticeable path all the way to the summit. It's quite evident that there is a lot of hiker traffic that goes up to this summit. I considered this a fun hike and thoroughly enjoyed it, just the hike I was looking for today. The views were much better than I was expecting and the weather was perfect! A nice Fall day to be out in the mountains!

Enjoy the photos and video! 

The hike starts here

Go past the sand dune hill

Turn right at the small cairn for the well worn herd path

Changing leaves

Nice wide path

Sun shines through the forest

Sun through spruce

Veiled sun

View from an outlook

Peak Above the Nubble up ahead

Crossing some blowdowns

Going around a cluster of blowdowns

Gnarly just before the summit



Mount Hale

North Twin

Presidentials can be seen in the distance

Got to draw a little blood when doing a bushwhack

This was a little confusing on the way down

Enjoying the stroll

Maple leaves

Climbing the sand dune

View from the sand dune

Coming down a very loose sand dune

Autumn color

Back at Haystack Road

A look back at Peak Above the Nubble seen on the left





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment