Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Monday, April 18, 2022

Spring Hike to Mount Carrigain


Summit: Mount Carrigain (4,700')
Trail route: Sawyer River Road, Signal Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Road is clear, trail starts bare with intermittent icy sections then solid hard packed snow and a couple inches of fresh snow and drifting at higher elevations
Weather: Cool temps to start then warming up, sunshine and blue sky
Total miles: 13.4
Total time:  7:17

The weather forecast was looking ideal for a Spring hike today. I decided to do the long hike to Mount Carrigain with its extra miles this time of year due to the gate being closed on Sawyer River Road adding two miles each way. I did this hike at the end of March and it would be interesting to see the difference in trail conditions.

This would be a solo hike today and I was the first one in the parking lot early this morning. The road walk was dry, last month there was sections of ice that required traction to walk it safely. The first couple miles of trail was mostly bare with a few intermittent areas of frozen snow and ice that I could bypass without any problem. I took the old trail to the water crossings. The first crossing I rock hopped on submerged rocks so the boots got a little wet. The next two crossings were not a problem.

When I started the long relentless ascent to Signal Ridge the trail was completely covered in hard packed frozen snow and ice. I put microspikes on and had no problem until I got up to the higher elevations where there was a couple inches of fresh snow and drifting. The soft snow was balling up on my microspikes rendering them useless so I put on my trail crampons. This gave me good traction and there was no snow balling up on the spikes.

There was spectacular views from Signal Ridge and I could see the next problem that I would be dealing with. Fresh snow was hanging heavy on the trees up to the summit. With a warm wind blowing I knew there would be dripping water and snow clumps raining down on me. It wasn't too bad on the rest of the way to the summit. I took off my crampons and climbed to the top of the observation tower, I had the summit to myself. Under a clear blue sky the views were incredible. Back down below the tower I had a snack under the watchful eye of a gray jay. I put on a waterproof layer and started my descent.

I was expecting to see hikers coming up on my way down. Just below Signal Ridge I saw a familiar hiker coming up, it was Capt Chris. I have met him numerous times on the trail on previous hikes. We talked for a few minutes, got a selfie of us and then continued on. I saw several more hikers as I descended. The traction came off at the end of the frozen monorail and it was a nice hike back out to the trailhead. Two more miles of road walk and the hike was done. It was typical Spring conditions today.

This was my 11th time to Mount Carrigain, I need it one more time in February to grid it out. Grid count is now 534/576.

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Two mile road walk to the trailhead

Arriving at the trailhead

Remaining monorail

Dry trail

Old beaver pond

Easy water crossing

Very nice through here

Continuous snow packed trail starts here and the microspikes go on

Passing by an ice bulge

Fresh snow on the trail

Mount Washington

Vose Spur

Mount Lowell

Summit up ahead

Summit observation tower

Snow-capped Presidential summits

Mount Washington summit cone

Back into Winter

Snowy white trees against blue sky

Signal Ridge

A view all the way down the mountain

A view to the southwest

A view to the west

Mount Lafayette

My 11th time to this summit

Starting my descent

Heading across Signal Ridge

Two ski areas can be seen with Attitash in front of Cranmore

The Sisters and Chocorua

Met Capt Chris on the way down as he was coming up

Walked on submerged rocks at this water crossing

Back down to Spring

A final test of crossing an ice flow without falling and I passed

Whiteface Brook

Back at the trailhead

Compton tortoiseshell butterfly

End of the road walk is in sight and the end of the hike










Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment