Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Gridding Out Mount Willey


Summit: Mount Field (4,340'), Mount Willey (4,285')
Trail route: Avalon Trail, Willey Range Trail
Trail conditions: Solid trails with an inch of fresh snow and some drifting between Field and Willey
Weather: Cool temps and overcast sky
Total miles: 8.4
Total time:  5

Recent rain and warm weather followed by a deep freeze bode well for favorable hiking trails today. The usual hike on the Willey Range includes Mounts Tom, Field and Willey. I had already gridded out Tom and Field but still needed Willey since I had not done that yet for March. I made the decision to hike in from Crawford Depot and not the other end from the Ethan Pond Trail since I had not seen any recent trail reports for that approach.

I parked at the Crawford Depot and debated on whether or not to bring the snowshoes. I decided to leave them behind based on recent weather and trail reports. I started my hike in microspikes, the trail was frozen solid with a coating of fresh snow. The first water crossing had a solid snow/ice bridge. The second crossing was open water but shallow and there was one ice covered rock that I used to keep the boots dry.

As I started up the steep section of Avalon Trail I swapped to trail crampons. There was some ice that I was able to get around and the crampons worked well. Further up the trail there was a few more inches of loose snow but not a problem with traction.

I passed over Mount Field and continued on to Mount Willey. There was considerable wind blown snow and drifting on the trail between these two summits with a couple of places that I completely lost the trail and wandered off into very deep snow. I kept going in the general direction of where I thought the trail was and would eventually meet back up with solid trail again. 

It was an interesting hike to Willey. There were sections of the trail that had what looked like recent footprints as though someone had just hiked there minutes before me and then the footprints were completely gone with the recent snow. It was clear that I was the first one across here today and I was occasionally breaking trail.

I reached the summit of Mount Willey and went to the outlook. I noticed only one set of footprints descending to the ladders on the other side and was glad that I had not come up that way. The cloud cover was high so I got some good views although there was a few clouds over the higher Presidential summits. This was my turn around point and I soon began the hike back to Crawford Depot.

Just as I was leaving the summit I met the first hiker of the day. On the hike back up to Mount Field I met a group of three hikers. I reached the summit of Field and it was all downhill from here. It was a good hike back and I saw two more hikers on the way out.

It was a good day for a hike to Mount Willey and I have now hiked to this summit in every month of the year. I now have two long hikes to grid out the month of March, Mount Carrigain and the Bonds. It does not look good for hiking this weekend with a big snowstorm in the forecast but there is still a lot of March remaining. I'm hopeful the weather and trail conditions will cooperate for completing these last two hikes.

Enjoy the photos and video!

A view of the Presidential summits on the drive to the trailhead

At Crawford Depot

The hike starts here

Bridged water crossing

An icy rock keeps the boots dry on this crossing



Ice bulge



Sun through the cloud cover


View from Mount Field

Mount Willey

Sun still trying to break through the cloud cover

Breaking trail through here

A maze of trees

Mount Carrigain

On the summit of Mount Willey

Willey outlook

Presidential summits

Mount Washington summit in the clouds

One set of footprints going down the other side of Mount Willey to the ladders

View from the trail

Heading back to Mount Field

Icy spot

View from Mount Field

Descending Mount Field

Mount Avalon

Descending steep ice

Ice formations

Back at Crawford Depot

Willey Range





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment