Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Mount Willey for #500 on The Grid


Summit: Mount Willey (4,285')
Trail route: Kedron Flume Trail, Ethan Pond Trail, Willey Range Trail
Trail conditions: A thin layer of snow to start up to several inches with some icy sections  
Weather: Cold with a partly cloudy sky and light snow flurries
Total miles: 5.4
Total time:  5 

December 1st and I needed to get started hiking the 4,000 footers once again since I have many to do for this month. I normally do Mount Tom, Mount Field and Mount Willey in one hike but for some reason I left Willey hanging in the months of December and April. I have already gridded out Tom and Field. This looked like a good day for hiking Willey.

I was the first and only one in the parking lot this morning. I had a feeling this was going to be a lonely hike today. There was a dusting of snow overnight so I wasn't expecting any big changes in trail conditions from the recent report that I had seen.

I was heading up the Kedron Flume Trail just before 8:00 AM. I started out bare booting, the trail had a thin layer of snow over slippery leaves. After crossing the railroad tracks I put on the microspikes. The trail switchbacks across a steep slick slope. Further up there was some icy sections of trail and I was glad I had the microspikes on.

At the trail junction I saw one set of fresh hiker footprints heading up from the Ethan Pond Trail. I soon met up with this other hiker and we talked for a few minutes and he let me go ahead. He would be the only other hiker I saw on this hike today.

I arrived at the first set of ladders and saw that they had been recently used but still had a coating of snow on them. I took it slow and easy, a few missing steps made it interesting. I was glad to make it up over the eleven ladders without a mishap keeping in mind that I would have to come down them on my return.

The steep grind continued to the summit. I made a brief stop at the outlook for a few photos and then went to the summit. The other hiker had passed by me while I was at the outlook and was standing by the summit cairn. One summit photo and I started my descent, it was all downhill from here.

I got back down over the ladders without a problem and made it down past the ice flows on Kedron Flume Trail. Just before the trailhead the sky darkened and frozen precipitation started to fall. Apparently I timed this hike just right when I looked back up at the Willey Range it was cloaked in clouds.

The trails could use some more snow to help cover the rocks and roots, it was a little bony today. This hike brought my grid count to #500 with 76 summits remaining. I have some tough hikes ahead of me in the coming winter months.

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Sunrise just before arriving at the trailhead

Sun shining on Mount Tom

Webster Cliffs

View from Willey House

The hike starts here

Cave under the railroad tracks

Crossing the tracks


Frozen water crossing

This is the trail

Ice beside the trail


Brook crossing

Easy under blowdown

Climbing snowy ladders

Icicles hang off a wooden step on a ladder

At the outlook on Mount Willey

A look down Crawford Notch

Webster Cliffs and beyond

Mount Jackson summit

Watching a snow squall

Standing at the summit cairn on Mount Willey for #500

Descending Mount Willey

Heading down the ladders

More ladders

Wet trail

Icy trail

Log bridge over a brook



Back at the trailhead

Cloud covered Willey Range after the hike






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!






No comments:

Post a Comment