Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Loop Hike on Smarts Mountain


Summit: Smarts Mountain
Trail route: Up Lambert Trail, Down Ranger Trail
Trail conditions: Dry with wet and muddy sections
Weather: Warm and sunny with hazy sky
Total miles: 7.8
Total time:  5.28

The weather forecasters were reporting that today would be the warmest day this week. I decided to make the long drive to Smarts Mountain for another 52 With a View summit. This would be the final summit on the list in western New Hampshire.

Once again I relied on my iphone GPS to get me to the trailhead parking lot since I'm quite unfamiliar with this area of New Hampshire. I was the first one in the parking lot today but another hiker arrived shortly thereafter. I talked to him for a few minutes, he was section hiking the AT over Smarts Mountain and on to Mount Cube today. We both started on the Lambert Trail at the same time but he was soon out of sight.

The Lambert Trail, also part of the Appalachian Trail, is a very enjoyable hike that follows the top of a ridge with some ledge scrambling and a few nice views along the way. The trail was dry for the most part with a few minor wet sections. 

I reached the summit tower which really isn't the true summit but a good spot for a tower and climbed almost to the top. With a "bad" shoulder I did not want to be pushing up on the door into the top of the tower. There were good views in every direction although very hazy today. I continued along the trail and bushwhacked out to the true summit, there are no views from here. I went back to the tentsite where there is a view and ate lunch there. It was a beautiful day for lingering and basking.

As I was descending I veered left at the trail junction onto the Ranger Trail. I had given some thought to returning on the Lambert Trail having read trail reports that indicated the Ranger Trail was very wet and muddy down low. I wanted to experience a new trail so Ranger Trail it was. 

I knew if I returned on the Lambert Trail there would be some up and down sections, the Ranger Trail was all down and the last two miles are a very gradual incline. The reports I read were accurate as there were some very wet and muddy trail areas along the way but my boots kept my feet dry. It had warmed up nicely and I was down to short sleeves, a sharp contrast to what I experienced last Saturday on a hike above tree with winter conditions.

Back at the trailhead parking lot there were several vehicles, except for the hiker early this morning I had seen no other hikers during the entire hike. This was another enjoyable 52 With a View summit. Smarts Mountain was #50 and I now have two summits remaining to complete the list! 

Enjoy the photos and video!

Map at the trailhead

Kiosk in parking lot

The hike starts here

There were good views from the Lambert Trail

Ledge scramble

Another view from the trail

A go around blowdown

Standing by a large blowdown

Smarts Mountain

Summit tower on Smarts Mountain

Bent tree

A nice walk in the woods through here

Bog bridges over mud

A set of wooden steps...

...then a set of rock steps...

...and finally a set of iron rung steps

The only ice during the hike


First view of the summit tower

Looking straight up the tower

View from the tower

Warden's cabin

Inside the cabin

Convenient mirror for the well-groomed hiker

Wandering around the summit

View from an tentsite 

Another view

Someone propped up this heart rock

Eating lunch at the tentsite

Heading down the Ranger Trail

Lots of leaves on the trail

Water crossing

Two miles out from here

Lots of mud and water in the trail down low

Grant Brook

Grant Brook

Trail and weather conditions today were a sharp contrast from my hike on Saturday

Completing the loop

Back at the trailhead parking lot





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment