Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Welcoming Wind on The Carters


Summits: Carter Dome (4,832') South Carter (4,430'), Middle Carter (4,610')
Trail route: Nineteen Mile Brook Trail, Carter Dome Trail, Carter-Moriah Trail, North Carter Trail, Imp Trail, Imp Connector to Dodge Camp, Road walk back to parking lot
Trail conditions: Wet trail from overnight rain, mud and running water on some trails
Weather: Warm, humid start transitioning to a cool wind with drier air
Total miles: 12
Total time:  7:37

It had been almost two weeks since my last hike due to weather and commitments. I have twelve summits to do in four hikes in order to grid out July which means that will complete all 48 4,000 footers for this month. 

I got an early start anticipating warm temps with humidity. The parking lot was almost full when I arrived. I was on the trail at 5:25 AM. There was rain last night leaving the trail very wet. The first three miles were very humid. It was not until just below Zeta Pass that a cool wind started blowing and it was very refreshing.

I arrived at the summit of Carter Dome and had it to myself for a few moments. There's not much for views up here so I didn't stay long and I had two more summits to visit. I started the descent to Zeta Pass. I saw more hikers on my way down.

I passed through Zeta Pass again and started the ascent to South Carter. Once again I had the summit to myself momentarily. Two hikers arrived while I was there. Once again there are very limited views so I was soon on my way. The cooling wind blowing across the ridge and summits made it a very comfortable hike.

There were more hikers on the trail as I made my way over to Middle Carter. For the third time today I had the summit alone. There is a short side path with a view. I also found a summit stick marker on a tree behind the cairn.

I took the North Carter Trail down to the Imp Trail. There are sections of these two trails that required walking down through running water. I took the Imp Connector to Camp Dodge then the road walk on Route 16 back to the parking lot to complete the loop.

I'm not a fan of humid weather so after a sultry start the cool wind was a welcome relief. This was my 9th time hiking these summits. I enjoyed the early start today that had me back at the parking lot at 1:00 PM. I am now looking forward to completing my next three hikes to grid out July!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

The hike starts here.

Always nice to have a convenient bridge to cross

Low water at the dam

Nineteen Mile Brook

Easy water crossing on Carter Dome Trail

Low water

Wood sorrel

Passing through Zeta Pass

Blue bead lily

View of the Presidential summits

On the summit of Carter Dome

South Carter is my next destination

A fork in the trail I went left and skipped Mount Hight

Back at Zeta Pass on my way to South Carter

Lots of bog bridges on this hike

Another set of bog bridges
More bog bridges

On the summit of South Carter

Middle Carter poking up above the trees

A view from the trail

...and more bog bridges

A look back at Mount Hight and Carter Dome and South Carter

Presidential summits

Middle Carter up ahead

Bunchberry still blooming at higher elevations

Starflower

Summit marker on Middle Carter

View from Middle Carter

East view

South view

A view across the ridge

A look back at the ledges I just descended

A long stretch of bog bridges

One more set of bog bridges

Turning onto the North Carter Trail

This brook is the trail

It's mushroom season

Passing through Camp Dodge


Birdsfoot trefoil

Cow vetch

Cowbane is a very poisonous plant

The loop is complete after 12 miles







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!






No comments:

Post a Comment