Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, June 2, 2021

A Hike to Eastman Mountain


Summit: Eastman Mountain (2,939')
Trail route: Baldface Circle Trail, Slippery Brook Trail, Eastman Mountain Trail 
Trail conditions: Dry trail, some insignificant mud easy to avoid
Weather: Warm day with sunshine and cumulus clouds
Total miles: 8.4
Total time:  4:44

Today I would be taking a break from hiking a 4,000 footer. Eastman Mountain is on the 52 With a View list, a mountain that I have not been to and trails that I have not hiked on. There was warm temps and sunshine in the forecast.

It was a beautiful drive down through Evans Notch on my way to the trailhead. There was only one other vehicle in the parking lot when I arrived. The hike to the Baldfaces that leaves from here is a very popular destination for hikers, the hike to Eastman not as popular.

After a short, flat hike on the Balface Circle Trail the turn onto the Slippery Brook Trail began a steady upward 2.6 mile hike to the next trail junction. The Eastman Mountain Trail to the summit was a nice, easy stretch of trail. Up until now the bugs had been just an annoyance but on the summit they were ferocious. I doused myself in bug spray but I obviously missed a few spots and they found them giving me some good welts.

There are some really nice views from the summit. After some photos and something to eat I started my descent and left the summit and bugs behind. I was able hike fast enough going down to avoid most of the bugs. It was a nice hike down and back to the trailhead. 

I was surprised to not see any other hikers today. Back at the parking lot there were many cars so the other hikers must have been hiking the Baldfaces. There were more hikers pulling in as I was leaving. I was glad to have gotten an eary start as it was very warm now bordering on hot.

It was very nice to visit a mountain that I had not been to before, always good to hike new trails and view new scenery. The weather was in sharp contrast from last weekend's winter-like conditions. This is what we are accustomed to here in the White Mountains, we adjust and prepare for the varied conditions then head out into them. It was a great day to be in the mountains!

Enjoy the photos and video!

View on the drive through Evans Notch

The hike starts here

On my way to Slippery Brook Trail

Heading up to Eastman Mountain Trail

Low water

Smooth burl

Blue sky and cumulus clouds above the tree cover

Another 0.8 to the summit

Bunchberry blooms

A nailed blaze

Blue bead lily

Painted trillium

Mount Chocorua

A hazy view into Maine

South Baldface Mountain

Mount Washington past the ridge

A view from the summit

Summit cairn

Double mushrooms

Wide open woods

This was hanging over the trail

Cascading water

Back at the trailhead

Lady slippers are blooming

A gathering of butterflies





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment