Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Monday, May 24, 2021

Monday Morning on the Tripyramids


Summits: North Tripyramid (4,180'), Middle Tripyramid  (4,140')
Trail route: Pine Bend Brook Trail
Trail conditions: Dry, some occasional mud
Weather: Cool morning temps, clear blue sky and full sunshine
Total miles: 9.6
Total time:  6:08

After a hot and humid weekend there was beautiful, dry weather in the forecast with lots of sunshine. It looked like a nice day to hike the Tripyramids. This would be a solo hike to these summits today.

I was the second vehicle at the trailhead. It was a nice cool start as I began my hike and a beautiful morning in the woods. The cool temperature made the climb up the steep section of trail a little easier. 

Up on the ridge I saw my only ice located in small rocky caves. There was one small patch of ice on the trail about the size of my foot. It was nice to finally see no snow or monorails and no traction needed.

Up on the summit of North Tripyramid the cool temps continued and there was a spectacular view from a small outlook. I took a short break and then continued on. It was a nice hike over to Middle Tripyramid and I enjoyed more views from the summit. This was my turn around point and after another break I started my hike back to North Tripyramid and down to the trailhead.

It was a very pleasant hike down. I met six hikers along the trail today and thought there would be more on such a beautiful day. This was my eighth time hiking the Tripyramids and I now have four more times to grid them out. 

I'm sure all hikers out in the White Mountains today enjoyed the same stellar conditions wherever they were hiking!

Enjoy the photos!

The hike starts here

Low water easy crossings

Beautiful morning in the woods

Starflower

Red trillium

Another easy water crossing

Lots of painted trillium along the trail


Blue sky above the treetops

Twins

Hobblebush

Scar Ridge Trail junction

Ice in a small rock cave

The only ice on the entire trail

Trail to North Slide

View from the summit of North Tripyramid

Mount Washington

Naked and crooked tree

Sabbaday Brook Trail junction

View from Middle Tripyramid

Waterville Valley/Mount Tecumseh

The Osceolas

On the summit of Middle Tripyramid

View from the summit of Middle Trypyramid

Mount Passaconaway

Mount Chocorua and the Sisters

One final view while descending the Pine Bend Brook Trail

A tree bit me

One of the best burls in the White Mountains

Back at the trailhead

Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment