Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Gridding Out the Kinsmans


Summit: North Kinsman (4,293'), South Kinsman (4,358')
Trail route: Mt. Kinsman Trail, Kinsman Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Bare ground to start then a coating of fresh snow, deteriorating monorail and slushy snow
Weather: Cool, damp, cloudy with breaking clouds and sunshine toward the end of the hike
Total miles: 10
Total time:  6:20

There were rain showers in the forecast for early morning and the afternoon. I thought I could squeeze in a hike between the showers. Today I would be gridding out North and South Kinsmans having  hiked them in every month month of the year.

It was not raining on my way to the trailhead but there had been scattered showers earlier. The summits were in the clouds so I was expecting no views today. When I pulled into the parking lot there was only one other vehicle. I was a little surprised that anyone else was hiking here given the forecast and current conditions.

At least it wasn't raining when I started up the trail. Just past the Bald Peak Trail junction there was recent snow on the trees and ground. Further up there was deteriorating monorail and I put on the microspikes and they stayed on until I returned to the same spot. On the Kinsman Ridge Trail there was soft snow but no postholing. On the summit of North Kinsman there were no views as expected. I continued on to the next summit.

There was still a lot of snow between the peaks. The trail was semi-solid with loose snow on top but still no postholing. Trees were full of ice and new snow. Once again there were no views on South Kinsman. This was my turn around point and I started back to North Kinsman.

Still no views back on North Kinsman and it was all downhill from here. While going down the Mt Kinsman Trail the ice and snow on the tree branches were continually raining down on me. It was a wet hike until I got down past this area and the trees no longer had any dripping precipitation. At this point I had met six hikers for the day.

When I got down to the Bald Peak spur trail the clouds were clearing and the sun came out. That's not the first time that I have been to a summit in the clouds with no views only to have the skies clear when I got back down.

Back at the parking lot it was nice and warm. It was good to get this hike done before the showers arrived even though it was quite wet from the dripping trees. When I left the parking lot and pulled onto Route 116 light rain started to fall. I call that good timing!

Today's hike of these two mountains brought me to 80% completion of the grid or 461 of 576 summits!

Enjoy the photos!

The hike starts here

Passing the sugar shack and keeping an eye out for the bear I once saw here

Low water

Hobblebush starting to bloom

Trillium blooming

Cascade

Easy water crossings

Approaching the Bald Peak trail junction

Recent snow

Heading up the Kinsman Ridge Trail

Frosty branches

On North Kinsman with no views

Wintry on the trail between North and South Kinsmans

Snow covered bog bridges

On the summit throne at South Kinsman with no views

Heading back to North Kinsman

Icy trees

All downhill from here


A favorite burl

Clearing clouds and sunshine after I come down off the summits

Passing back by the sugar shack in full sunshine

Wild plum blossoms

Back at the parking lot

Kinsmans in the clear on my drive home



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment