Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Snowshoe Hike to Mount Moriah


Summit: Mount Moriah (4,049')
Trail route: Carter-Moriah Trail
Trail conditions: Solid base with some fresh snow on top
Weather: Cloudy start clearing to partly cloudy and sunshine
Total miles: 9
Total time:  6:06

Trail and weather reports were looking favorable for a hike to Mount Moriah. There was some new snow overnight so I was expecting maybe a little trail breaking if I was the first one up. I brought all of my traction to be prepared for any conditions that I might encounter.

I arrived at the parking lot to find one vehicle already there and at least one hiker ahead of me on the trail. I put my snowshoes on at the trailhead. I could see one set of bare boots and dog prints in the fresh snow. Bare boots or any form of traction would have been appropriate for the lower section of the trail. As I moved up the trail snowshoes were definitely the best way to go. The hiker ahead of me had stopped and put on their snowshoes.

There was a nice snowshoe trough and it made for an enjoyable hike. All rocks and roots were covered. The trough continued up over the ledges and across the bog bridges that were covered in deep snow making it an easy snowshoe hike. I met the other hiker and her dog coming down from the summit.

I arrived at the summit where a cool wind was blowing giving a bite to the air. I had the summit to myself but it was not a day for lingering long even under full sunshine. I stayed just long enough for some photos and video then started my descent.

I met several hikers coming up as I was heading down. A group of three were bare booting and tearing up the loose area of snow on top of the solid foundation. While there was no postholing except for one short section on top of one of the ledges I didn't quite understand why anyone would want to struggle through all that loose snow.

When I arrived at the clear cut area of the trail I stopped for some lunch. It was getting warmer and I removed a layer. I met the last hiker I would see for a total of seven hikers on the trail today.

Back at the trailhead I removed my snowshoes for the short road walk back to the parking lot. There was four other vehicles in the parking lot and room for more even with the snowmobile trail going through it in case anyone wants to know. Warmer temperatures brought some melting and it was a slushy mess. Colder temps in the weather forecast will take care of that.

I have now hiked Mount Moriah in eleven different months. One more hike to this summit in the month of March and I will have Moriah gridded out. It was an enjoyable hike today and a great day to be out in the mountains! 
 
Enjoy the photos and video!

A view of the town of Gorham through a logging clear cut

Somebody was having some fun

Easy step-over blowdown

Ascending a steep ledge buried in deep snow

A view of cloud covered Presidential summits

A view toward Gorham

Snow covered peaks in the distance

Nicely packed snowshoe path

Easy under blowdown

Sun shines through a frosty forest

Just below the summit the snow is 4 feet deep

Almost on the summit

On the summit

View of the Presidential summits

A view of the Carters

Northwest view

Gray jay visits

Enjoying the view

Northern view as I start my descent

Bog bridges beneath deep snow

Gorham far below

Percy Peaks in the distance

Summits start to appear beneath the cloud cover

Snow coach can be seen going up the Mount Washington auto road

Mount Adams

Mount Madison

Someone had MOXIE

Back at the trailhead



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment