Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Monday, September 28, 2020

Clouds and Colors From Glen Boulder


I wanted to get out and do another short hike today. There was showers in the forecast so I checked the radar and watched as an area of rain moved from south to north through the mountains. I waited until this passed and headed out for a hike to Glen Boulder. This would be another hike to continue strengthening my legs after a period of no hiking.

The sky was cloud covered and there appeared to be a threat of rain so I was going to drive to the trailhead and make my decision to hike when I got there. When I arrived the cloud cover was low enough that Glen Boulder could not be seen. I made the decision to give it a go hoping I would hike up out of the clouds.

Temps were in the 60's and it was slightly humid. The trail was very wet and slippery from the earlier rain. As I got higher up the trail the clouds were breaking overhead with blue sky showing and occasional sun. The cool breeze felt good.

When I got above treeline I could see low clouds moving through Pinkham Notch and a cloud cover above me but there were good views to be had. Swirling clouds and Fall foliage colors were looking spectacular! I arrived at Glen Boulder and took some time to enjoy the incredible views from there.

As I started my descent the exposed ledges had blown dry from the earlier rain but back down below treeline the conditions were wet and very slippery. Careful foot placement was necessary on slick rocks and roots. I met the only two other hikers I would see today on my way down.

Back at the trailhead the sky was continuing to clear and it was getting quite humid by now. I was glad to be able to get out on the trail again today. I'm making good progress on strenthening the leg muscles after my hiking hiatus. I hope to get back on the 4,000 footers soon!

Enjoying the views on the drive to the trailhead

Glen Boulder is up there through the cloud cover

The hike starts here

Cascades beside the trail

Hobblebush leaves

Blue sky breaking through the cloud cover

A view through the trees

Coming up out of the tree line

Ridge of color

Glen Boulder up ahead

Looking down into Pinkham Notch

Almost there

Arriving at Glen Boulder

Breaking clouds

Moving clouds and Fall colors below

Looking down at Glen Boulder



Alpine color

Heading back down

Gulf of Slides

Mount Washington

Hobblebush

Trying to hide

Burl

Back at the trailhead




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


1 comment:

  1. The foliage is so spectacular only to disappear after a few days of rain.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete