Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Staying Close and Exploring Beyond the Backyard


Continuing with the hike local theme I walked out to the backyard and kept going. There is a 2,067' mountain behind the house that provides some good views and exercise. Over the years there has been a lot of logging on this mountain. The mountain also provides the springs that flowed into the homes along the road where I live.

It was a short walk to the railroad tracks behind the house and I was following the pipeline that goes to the spring. Even though the line is buried I know exactly where it is beneath the ground and followed it up to the spring about a quarter mile away. The water stopped flowing several years ago and a drilled well was put in for the house.

Logging operations took place since the last time I was up here and it was very difficult locating the spring. The surrounding are had become very unfamiliar with a new logging road that had been cut right beside the spring almost covering it. I was able to pull the cover up enough to see that it was full of water.

I continued up the mountain on the new logging road. I soon saw three eagles circling above me. Seeing one eagle is always nice but to see three at one time was very exciting. Along the way there where roads going every which way so I just kept taking the ones that went up. Some areas were just narrow paths with some bushwhacking involved in order to get to the next logging road.

As I kept going up there were some cleared areas that provided some nice views. I could see Percy Peaks and in another direction I saw the snow covered Presidential summits. Down below was a view of the valley where I live.

The summit was still a ways off and I kept following a myriad of logging roads that kept taking me up. At one point far up on the mountain I decided to start making my way down before reaching the summit. I had some yard maintenance that I wanted to do before rain moved in later in the day.

I picked an old logging road and started down in a different direction from where I came up. There were logging roads going everywhere but I knew enough about the geography to set out in the direction of where I wanted to come out down below.

It was during the descent that I saw a flash in the bushes and then a moose popped out right in front of me onto the logging road I was walking down. One look at me and the moose ran off but I saw him again in an opening in the trees. I was able to zoom in for a photo but had to move quickly as he was soon out of sight.

I kept moving down the mountain taking logging roads that I thought would bring me out where I wanted to be. Sure enough I  came out exactly where I wanted to be. I walked down the railroad tracks behind the house and was soon back in my woods. A short walk and I was in the backyard from where I started.

Cummings Mountain is a great mountain to explore with lots of wildlife and it's in my backyard. Although I have been up there before I have never been to the summit. Some day I'll venture up there again!

Enjoy the photos!

This spring was the water source for the house before getting a drilled well

Old logging operations through here

Deer poop

There was lots of moose poop

Three eagles were circling above me but only got two in the photo

Old clear cut section of woods

Old mushrooms on a stump

Old logging road going up

Two large quartz rocks

Had my choice of three logging roads and took the right one

The valley where I live far below

Percy Peaks

Snow-capped Presidential summits in the distance

Another view of the valley below

Cedar Pond can be seen through the trees

Zooming in to Muzzy Hill road and railroad underpass

A look back up as I'm going down

This moose came out of the bushes in front of me then ran off

The moose disappeared back into the brush

Warm sunshine bringing out the blooms

My foot beside a fresh moose print

Traveling down a forest highway

Obstacle course

Back down at the bottom of the mountain

The underpass I saw far up on the mountain

Walking the railroad tracks

Frog eggs

Admiral butterfly

Jumped off the tracks here and into my woods

The backyard is in sight where I started my hiking adventure today




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed the local views! I've got to get out of my shop and explore my area. A large, maybe 500lb bear, was in my backyard a couple of nights ago. He's got the exploration fever also.

    ReplyDelete