Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, December 8, 2019

One Hale of a Hike


Summit: Mount Hale (4,054')
Trail route: Zealand Road, Hale Brook Trail
Trail conditions: Zealand Road was semi-packed, Hale Brook Trail was recently broke out but had several inches of new soft unconsolidated snow for the last mile to the summit
Weather: Frigid to cold temps, sunshine
Total miles: 9.8
Total time: 5:30

I spent most of Saturday in my recliner after not feeling well this past week . Today's hike was going to be a last minute decision based on how I felt when I woke up this morning. So I got up this morning feeling well enough for a hike. I needed two more months to grid out this summit.

This morning was what I considered to be frigid as the temperature was in the subzero range. When I left the house it was -4°F and dropped a few more degrees along the way. As I arrived at the parking lot the temp was -3°F. So I started my hike on the Zealand Road in a subzero temp but it would soon start to warm up as the sun came up. Almost two years ago a group of us did this hike with a starting temperature of -24°F, by far the coldest that any of us had ever hiked in before.

There was a broken path through the snow on Zealand Road and I decided to just bare boot the 2.5 miles to the trailhead. I saw one set of recent boot prints coming out but no other prints going in. I reached the Hale Brook trailhead and saw a somewhat narrow broken path in the snow. I put on microspikes and started up the trail. After about a mile I swapped to snowshoes as the trail was becoming soft with new and unconsolidated snow.

The snowshoes were working well but as I got higher several inches of recent snow were filling the trail. I had passed one hiker and now found myself packing down the snow. It was an exhausting effort after not feeling well this past week. The amount of snow was amazing and I was glad to see the trail open up onto the summit!

Although there are no distant views from this summit the surrounding trees were heavy with snow and looked beautiful against the blue sky. I spent some time taking a few photos and a video. I noticed there were tracks coming from the Lend-A-Hand Trail and the Fire Warden's Trail. I didn't stay long and was soon on my way down.

I met four more hikers coming up as I was going down for a total of five hikers today. It was a good hike down and I was sliding in my snowshoes on some of the steeper sections. When I reached the trailhead I took off the snowshoes and went with bare boots on the 2.5 mile road walk back to the parking lot.

Although it was a cold start it warmed up nicely and it was nice to be out on the trail today. I have now hiked to this summit in eleven different months and have only the month of March to grid out Mount Hale. It was definitely winter conditions today but with rain in the forecast tomorrow I foresee a considerable change in trail conditions during this week.

Enjoy the photos and video!

 A cold start this morning

 Bretton Woods snowmaking operations illuminated by the rising sun

 The 2.5 mile road walk begins here

A frigid Ammonoosuc River

Passing by the Sugarloaf Campground

Sun coming up on the Zealand River

 Sun shines through frosted trees

 And the road goes on

 Going to need some Spring cleanup

 Green ice

 Tranquil brook

 My destination

 After 2.5 miles the trail starts here

 Heading up

 Bridge over a small brook

 Frozen feather ice formations

 Snow covered brook

 This section of trail can be tricky sometimes but not bad today

 More snow as I move higher up the trail

 Peering through a snowy opening in the forest

 The sun finds its way through snowy trees

 The snow gets deeper

 Snow covered trees everywhere

 Framed view from the trail

 The opening I've been waiting for that leads onto the summit

 View from the summit

 Tracks from the Lend-A-Hand Trail

 Tracks from the Fire Warden's Trail

 Beginning my descent

 A view of Mount Washington from the trail

 Back at the trailhead and starting the 2.5 mile road walk

 The end of the road is in sight

High clouds move in as I start my drive home




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment