Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Thursday, December 26, 2019

Hiking a White Sidewalk to Mount Eisenhower


Summit: Mount Eisenhower  (4,780')
Trail route: Crawford Path, Mt. Eisenhower Loop
Trail conditions: Solid, hard-packed snow
Weather: Temps in the 20's, no wind, sunshine
Total miles: 10
Total time: 5:15

I checked the weather and some trail reports prior to this hike. It looked like a great day to go above treeline.

It was a cold and crisp morning when I pulled into the trailhead parking lot. There were several vehicles there already and more hikers were arriving. The snowshoes stayed in the car and I started out with microspikes. When I stepped onto the Crawford Connector it was a packed, solid path and I was hoping this would last for awhile.

I got to the Crawford Path and the trail condition was the same. With the exception of a few open brooks along the way that were easy step overs the trail continued to be hard-packed and smooth all the way to the Webster Cliff Trail junction.

I have already gridded out Mount Pierce so I continued on to Mount Eisenhower. I thought the trail conditions might change along this next section of trail but to my surprise it remained the same smooth, solid white sidewalk. I met several other hikers along the way with everyone commenting on the amazing conditions.

On the way up the summit cone the snow and ice layer was thin. When I reached the summit it was bare except for a few patches of thin snow. Several hikers were already there and more arriving. There was no wind and the sun was shining brightly with a halo around it and the rare sun dog off to the side. I spent almost 30 minutes on the summit taking photos and videos as well as ate lunch. I could have stayed longer but it was time to start the 5 miles back to the parking lot.

It was a pleasant hike back down and I met many more hikers coming up. I dropped down to the totally frozen Gibbs Falls and got a photo. From there it was a short walk back to the parking lot. The microspikes stayed on for the entire hike and I was sure glad the snowshoes stayed in the car.

The combination of excellent weather and trail conditions created a rare, extraordinary hike. It was far better than I could have imagined. An absolutely spectacular day for my first official winter hike this season!

Enjoy the photos and video!

 A view of Mount Eisenhower on the drive to the trailhead

 The hike starts here

Gibbs Brook

Heading up the Crawford Path

Trailside burl

Passing by the Mizpah Cutoff

A beautiful frozen path through the woods

Entering the alpine zone

First view of Mount Eisenhower from the trail

Zooming in to the Mount Eisenhower summit cairn

A frozen white sidewalk

Eisenhower, Monroe and Washington

Trail to Mount Pierce is broke out

Passing by the Webster Cliff Trail

The sun feels good

Mount Eisenhower up ahead

Getting closer

At the Mt Eisenhower Loop junction

Not sure if this ladder is needed

Approaching the summit

On the summit looking North

Standing next to the summit cairn

Sundog and halo

A view south
A view west

Washington and Monroe

Summit of Mount Monroe

Summit of Mount Washington

A view of the Presidential summits

Summit of Mount Jefferson

Starting my descent

Back at the Crawford Path

Mount Washington summit towers can be seen beyond a ridge

Hiking into the sun

A look back at Mount Eisenhower

It's all downhill from here

 Gibbs Falls

Bridge over Gibbs Brook

 Back at the trailhead

A view of the Mount Eisenhower summit cairn on the drive home





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment