Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Back to the Kinsmans


What a difference another day makes! Two weeks ago during a hike to North and South Kinsmans the weather was less than optimal. It was cold, windy and cloudy with very limited visibility. Thinking I was at the summit of South Kinsman I found out later that the true summit was another 300 yards. So it was back to tag South Kinsman to make it official for summit #43.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

North and Almost South Kinsmans


I usually prefer to hike on Saturday during the weekend but I postponed this hike until Sunday based on the weather forecast. Well, here in New England you take the weather forecast with a grain of salt. The plan for today was to summit North Kinsman (4,293') and South Kinsman (4,358') via the Mt. Kinsman Trail to the Kinsman Ridge Trail. I would find out later that I did not carry my plan far enough.

Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Other Sugarloaf


After feeling "under the weather" yesterday I was not on my "A-game" today. But it was such a beautiful day that I had to get out and hike somewhere. So after sleeping in this morning I found the perfect hike for today. Back in March I hiked the Sugarloafs off of Zealand Road. The plan for today was to hike Sugarloaf Mountain deep in the Nash Stream Forest via the Sugarloaf Mountain Trail.

Saturday, August 30, 2014

A Hike to North and Middle Tripyramids


After a busy week at work I was feeling pretty tired but wanted to get a hike in on what was to be the best weather day of the weekend. Today's hike would start on the Kancamagus Highway and follow the Pine Bend Brook Trail to North Tripyramid (4,180') and across the Mount Tripyramid Trail to Middle Tripyramid (4,140').

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Zealand and The Bonds Beyond



Up at 3:00 am, out the door at 3:50 for a Bond traverse. I'd be joining up with fellow hikers Denise, completing her 48 4,000 footers today and Jill, a veteran Bonds climber having made several trips to these summits and wanting to hike them again. We delayed our trip one day to await the spectacular weather that was forecast for today. Turned out to be a great decision!