Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, October 28, 2023

Hike to Black Mountain


Summit: Black Mountain (2,757')
Trail route: East Pasture Trail
Trail conditions: Dry with some muddy areas covered with lots of leaves
Weather: Warm temps and sunshine 
Total miles: 3.3
Total time:  2:43

It would be another short hike today with warm temps and possible showers in the forecast. I had not done this hike so I would be exploring a new summit.

I arrived at the parking lot and saw a familiar vehicle with the license plate of GRIDDOG. I have met John and GridDog Pepper on the trail in the past but knew that Pepper had passed away earlier this year so it would only be John today. There were three hikers that had just come down from staying at the cabin last night as I was just about to start my hike.

The East Pasture Trail is actually a ski trail and it was nice and wide without any menacing obstacles. I met John on the trail just below the cabin as he was descending. We stopped and talked about Pepper and various local hiking trails in the area. I then continued up passing by the cabin without stopping on my way to the summit.

I reached the top of Black Mountain and now understand why this summit has been removed from the 52 with a View list. The trees have grown up and obscured the views except for a glimpse of the Wildcats through the trees. Didn't see any reason to linger so I turned around and started my descent. 

I stopped briefly at the cabin to look around. There is a lock on the door and reservations are required in order to spend the night and somehow get a key. As I continued down I was suddenly startled when a mountain biker came down and I didn't hear him until he was about twenty feet behind me.

It was a pleasant hike down although getting very warm. This was probably my last time in shorts and short-sleeve shirt today until sometime next Spring. This was a very enjoyable hike and although there were very limited views the trail is in fantastic shape and makes for a nice leisurely stroll to the summit.

Enjoy the photos!



A nice wide trail all the way up

Arriving at the cabin



A view of the Wildcats from the summit

East Baldface Mountain

Back at the cabin


Old stone cellar beside the trail


Lots of color still showing

Almost back at the trailhead



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment