Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

A Hike to South and Middle Moats


Summits: South Moat (2,749'), Middle Moat (2,805')
Trail route: Moat Mountain Trail
Trail conditions: Dry for the most part with some wet ledges and frozen snow and ice between summits
Weather: Cool, sunshine with increasing clouds
Total miles: 6.6
Total time: 4:50

Weather was looking quite favorable for a hike today. I wanted something close to North Conway so that I could check for some hiking gear after the hike. It was a toss-up between the Moats and Kearsarge North. I chose the Moats having not been there in awhile.

I was the first one in the parking lot. There was a small insignificant coating of frozen snow at the beginning of the trail. The trail was bare after this with some running water and a few areas of avoidable ice on the ledges further up. There was one section of frozen snow and ice just below the summit.

Up on the summit of South Moat there was a slight cool breeze but otherwise tolerable in the warm sunshine. I stayed for a few minutes enjoying the views before moving on to Middle Moat. This was the only section of significant frozen snow and ice but I was still able to navigate through it without traction.

At the summit of Middle Moat there were similar views as the previous summit. This was my turn around point and I was soon heading back to South Moat. As I descended South Moat to the trailhead I met the first hikers of the day. I met one more hiker and that was it. I enjoyed the rest of the hike back to the parking lot.

It was a treat being able to bare boot this hike today. It will probably be the last time I can hike without traction until late next Spring. It was a great day to get out for a hike!

Enjoy the photos and video!

A view of the Moats on my way to the trailhead
 
The hike starts here
 
Brook crossing
 
Crossed this brook on a bridge
 
No snow or ice yet
 
Water flowing over some ledges
 
Still no snow further up the trail
 
Mount Chocorua from the trail
 
Enough dry ledge to avoid the wet areas
 
A short section of frozen snow
 


On the summit of South Moat with a view toward North Conway
 
Mount Chocorua
 
Middle and North Moats
 
Cathedral Ledge below
 
Mount Washington
 
Cranmore Ski Area
 
Frozen snow and ice along the ridge to Middle Moat
 
On the summit of Middle Moat
 
Mount Chocorua from Middle Moat
 
North Moat
 
Heading back to South Moat
 
Lots of summits can be seen from the Moats
 
South Moat summit up ahead
 
Descending South Moat
 
Navigating through a minefield of slick wet ledge and ice
 

Maneuvering through the rocks below
 
Easy water crossing
 
Back at the trailhead
 
 

 
 
Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment