Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

In Search of the Snow Arch


I was looking for another short hike since recovering from COVID. This is the time of year when the Snow Arch appears in Tuckerman Ravine. I thought this would be a good hike to continue building my strength.

I got a later than usual start heading up about 9:00 AM but no problem since this would be a leisurely stroll. There was the usual number of hikers that I would expect to see on this busy trail. I arrived at the Hermit Lake cabin and could see snow fields on the Tuckerman Ravine headwall.

I continued my hike up to the floor of the ravine. When I reached the bottom of the headwall the Snow Arch was there. For those that don't know the Snow Arch is created by water running down off the headwall and carving a tunnel through the snow and ice. This was my turn around point for today and after some photos I started my descent.

As I walked along the floor of the ravine around a bend in the trail came hiker extraordinaire Eric Todd Sweet. Eric hikes almost every day and I have met him several times on various trails. Always nice to meet Eric during a hike!

When I arrived back at Hermit Lake I stopped for a snack and to enjoy the views of the surrounding area. There were many hikers arriving as I sat here. It was a brief stop for me and I soon continued my descent. It was an enjoyable hike back down to the Pinkham Notch parking lot.

The hike up to Tuckerman Ravine is one of my favorites in the White Mountains any time of year. Today was no exception with beautiful weather and a less crowded weekday hike. It was also a good hike to continue building up my strength after battling the COVID virus and am now looking forward to some great summer hiking!

Enjoy the photos and video!

Clouds in Tuckerman Ravine on the drive to Pinkham Notch

Water flow under first bridge

Crystal Cascades


View of Tuckerman Ravine

Approaching Hermit Lake cabin

Lion Head

Heading up into Tuckerman Ravine

Flowers were blooming

Labrador tea

Starflower

Arriving at the first-aid cache

Flowing water on the floor of the ravine

Snow arch

Waterfalls on the headwall

Looking into the snow arch

Heading back down

One more look back

Another smaller snow arch

Snow fields on the headwall

Small snow arch


Had to step in the snow one more time


Walking along the floor of the ravine

Once again I meet Eric on the trail

Arriving back at Hermit Lake


A hiker on top of Lion Head

Bunchberry

Looking down from the final bridge crossing





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment