Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Thursday, January 13, 2022

Owl's Head in January


Summit: Owl's Head (4,025')
Trail route: Lincoln Woods Trail, Black Pond Trail, Black Pond Bushwhack, Lincoln Brook Trail, Brutus Bushwhack
Trail conditions: Solid trail to start with loosely packed snow along the ridge to the summit
Weather: Cold, cloudy with periods of light flurries
Total miles: 16
Total time:  8

Last night I had no plans to go hiking today but I saw a report that looked like conditions would be favorable for hiking to Owl's Head. Both weather and trail conditions appeared to be optimal. It was a good opportunity for this long solo hike to the summit.

I arrived at the Lincoln Woods parking lot as many hikers were arriving. I put on microspikes and was on my way. The Lincoln Woods Trail was packed solid. I turned onto the Black Pond Trail and it was also well packed. There was two solid paths at the start of the Black Pond bushwhack, I took the lower path.

Good conditions continued on the Lincoln Brook Trail. The two water crossings were well bridged unlike last month when there was open water and an icy rock hop to get across. At the start of the Brutus bushwhack there were six other hikers about to start the steep ascent to the top. 

I swapped to trail crampons for the steep climb. Even with the crampons it was loose and slippery in a few of the steeper spots. Along the top of the ridge to the summit the snow was deeper and loose with some occasional drifting. There were two other hikers at the summit when I arrived. This is a summit with no views and I did not stay long. The other hikers I saw at the beginning of the bushwhack were arriving at the summit as I was leaving.

It was the same long hike on the way back to the Lincoln Woods parking lot as it was on the way in. I'm always glad to see the suspension bridge over the East Branch of the Pemigewasset River that marks the end of the hike.

This was a great day to get Owl's Head done again. It was my 10th time hiking to this summit, two more times to grid it out. With a long hike to a viewless summit I'll be glad to have this one gridded out!

Enjoy the photos!

Sixteen miles of hiking ahead of me from here

East Branch of the Pemigewasset River icing over

Ice beside the trail

Another river view

The long straight walk on Lincoln Woods Trail

Another mile and the long straight walk continues

Approaching Black Pond

Black Pond

Lincoln Brook

Water crossing nicely bridged

Another bridged water crossing

Boulder that marks the junction of the Brutus bushwhack and the Owl's Head Path to the summit


Summit stick

Curly tree

Descending Brutus bushwhack

Back at the Lincoln Brook Trail

Ice flow on the trail running into the brook

Icicles

Best view of the day!




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment