Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Beautiful Spring Day on the Kinsmans


Summit: North Kinsman (4,293'), South Kinsman (4,358')
Trail route: Mt. Kinsman Trail, Kinsman Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Bare ground to start then monorail to solid trail then softening trail as it got warmer with deteriorating monorail and mashed potatoes
Weather: Cool start to warm temps, sunshine and blue sky
Total miles: 10
Total time:  6:30

Beautiful weather was in the forecast and I have a lot of summits to climb in April so I thought it would be a nice day to hike the North and South Kinsmans. This would be a solo midweek hike with a MT Kinsman Trail approach from Route 116.

I was taking my time and getting a later than usual start. It was nice to finally be driving to the trailhead after daybreak. I was surprised to be the first one in the parking lot but another vehicle pulled in minutes after me.

There was no snow to be seen anywhere around the parking lot. I made the decision to bring the snowshoes after needing them this past weekend. My concern was the trail conditions between North and South Kinsmans. I was sure there would be lots of snow and did not want to be postholing.

It was a mostly dry hike up to the trail junction to Bald Peak. There was some short sections of mud but not an issue. The water crossings were also easy to cross on exposed rocks. Beyond the trail junction there were short stretches of icy monorail but very easy to walk beside and still be on the trail.

About a mile further up the trail I put on microspikes as there was consistent snow and monorail. The snow was solid and I occasionally broke through undermined monorail caused by water running underneath. Up on the Kinsman Ridge Trail the snow was softening under the sun but the microspikes still worked well.

The views were spectacular on the North Kinsman summit outlook, I had it to myself. I continued on to the South Kinsman and had to contend with some bare ledges. I kept the microspikes on since there was soft snow in between these ledges that had southern exposure. 

As I approached the top of South Kinsman I removed the microspikes since the surrounding area was bare granite. This was my turn around point so I took a short break before heading back. The snow was getting softer on my return hike to North Kinsman but still no postholing. From the summit of North Kinsman it was all downhill from here.

It was a good hike back down. I removed the microspikes when the snow and monorail diminished allowing me to walk on bare ground. Passed several hikers that had been visiting Bald Peak. The temperature was very warm and pleasant as I arrived back at the parking lot. The snowshoes got a free ride today.

A Nor'easter is expected to arrive in the next couple of days bringing with it the potential of several inches of snow falling in the mountains. This will dramatically change the trail conditions for this weekend. 

I was glad to be able to get out for a hike on this Spring day. I have now hiked to the Kinsmans in eleven different months and only have the month of May remaining. I hope to grid out these summits next month!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Sun rises as I start my drive to the trailhead

The hike starts here

Easy water crossing

Flowing cascade

Another water crossing...easy

A third easy water crossing

Trail takes a left here and the Bald Peak spur trail goes right

Monorail starts here but is short-lived

The "portrait" tree is eroding

Log bridge crossing and still no snow

Next log bridge with snow on the ground at this point

Solid but narrow monorail

Burl

Into the snowpack

Just below the Kinsman Ridge Trail

Heading up the Kinsman Ridge Trail

View of  Franconia Ridge from the trail

Up and over a snow covered ledge

On the North Kinsman outlook

Lafayette Lincoln and Haystack Mountains

Lonesome Lake

Franconia Ridge

Mount Lafayette

Mount Lincoln

Mount Liberty

Mount Flume

View of South Kinsman 

Franconia Ridge from South Kinsman

Loon Mountain

Mount Moosilauke

Heading back to North Kinsman

Passing by the sugar shack

Burl

Back at the trailhead







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!






No comments:

Post a Comment