Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

June Morning on Mount Willey


Summit: Mount Willey (4,285')
Trail route: Ethan Pond Trail, Willey Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Dry, wet, muddy
Weather: Cool temps
Total miles: 5.4
Total time:  4:45

I usually like to do Tom, Field and Willey in one hike. But last June I did Tom and Field under the threat of approaching thunderstorms and was unable to get Willey. So today I would just be doing Mount Willey via the ladders.

I arrived at the parking area to find many other vehicles, not that these other hikers were all going to Mount Willey as there are other destinations that leave from this trailhead. I didn't see another hiker until I was far up the trail.

It was a nice, cool morning as I started up the Ethan Pond Trail. I reached the many sets of wooden ladders on the Willey Range Trail and made my way up the log rungs. It's a steep climb and the ladders help. Further up the trail I came to the last remaining 10 foot stretch of monorail, it was the only snow/ice on the trail. The microspikes got a free ride today.

I reached the Mount Willey outlook but was not alone. There were three hikers there that had slept on the summit last night. We chatted for awhile at a safe social distance. They were going to be out on the trails for several days. I let them know what the weather forecast would be over the next couple of days.

I went on up to the summit and down the other side to a good view from the trail, it was a beautiful morning. I went back up and over the summit again then started my descent. It was a nice hike down and made it safely down over the ladders.

The parking area was almost full when I got back. This was the first hike with no significant snow or ice that I'd done since last Fall. I'm hoping it's the last time I have to carry traction!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

 A foggy start on the drive to the trailhead

 The hike starts here

 The trail crosses the tracks


 Painted trillium

 Hobblebush


 Cascading brook



A rare clump of snow beside the trail

 Starting the steep climb to the summit

 Ascending the ladders

 More ladders

 A view from the top of the ladders

 A large area of blowdowns

Small ledges to get up and over

A blowdown with some sharp pointy branches sticking out

 The only remaining monorail on the trail today

 Presidential summits in the distance

 Webster Cliffs

 Crawford Notch

 On the summit of Mount Willey

 A view through the trees

 The Doubleheads

 Wet trail



 Mushroom

Avalanche Brook

Avalanche Brook under the railroad bridge

 A look up at Mount Willey as I leave the parking area

 A view of the Presidential range on the drive home






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment