Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Fresh Snow on a Hike to the Imp Face


Summit: Imp Face (3,100')
Trail route: Imp Trail
Trail conditions: Dusting of new snow over old crusty snow on lower trail to several inches of soft snow on upper trail
Weather: Cold, windy and cloudy with partial sun toward the end of the hike
Total miles: 4.4
Total time: 3 hours

After a night of light snow I was looking for a short drive and a short hike today. It had been a long time since I had visited the top of the Imp Face so I thought it was time to revisit this prominent ledge. A windy and cold day was in the forecast.

I was in no hurry so I got a late start and was planning on a leisurely hike. When I arrived at the trailhead and got out of the car the wind was howling down Route 16, it felt very cold. I was anxious to get on the trail and into the woods hoping there would be less wind. I first looked to see if there was any fresh tracks, there was one set of snowshoe tracks.

I put on my snowshoes and hit the trail. Traction was not really needed to start but I wanted to get some snowshoe conditioning. There was a light coating of snow over a crusty foundation on the lower section of the trail. The two water crossings were well bridged and solid.

Higher up on the trail I was glad to have the snowshoes on. There was several inches of loose snow somewhat packed down in places from the snowshoer ahead of me. As I got near the top of the Imp Face the one hiker I was following was coming back down. He is the only one I saw during the entire hike.

When I reached the top of the Imp Face that area was sheltered from the northwest wind although it was still cold. Clouds were lifting on some of the surrounding summits but the Presidential summits were completely covered. I got my usual photos and video then began my descent.

It was a quick hike back down to the trailhead. This hike was exactly what I was looking for today. I took a break this weekend from my grid pursuit but hope to get in one or two 4,000 footers next weekend!

Enjoy the photos and video!

One set of snowshoe tracks ahead of me as I start my hike

Easy water crossing

Small waterfall under the ice and snow dropping into an open pool.

Well bridged water crossing

Traversing open forest

Went up beside the ladder

Steep section of trail up ahead

Imp face ledge up ahead

First view walking out onto the top of the Imp Face

Sun trying to break through the clouds

A view up toward the Carter Range

Zooming in on a snowy ledge at the top of a ravine

A view toward the Wildcats

Hazy peaks

Clouds covered the Presidential summits

Dolly Copp campground far below

Zooming in on Dolly Copp campground

A hole is opening in the clouds to let the sun shine through

Sun rays shine on a summit

Clouds trying to clear from the Presidential summits but never do

Sun is about to break through

Descending into sunshine

Twisted tree

Rushing water below the ice

Back at the trailhead





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting. We're hiking this in a few days and I've been watching for trip reports! Thanks for taking the time to post.

    ReplyDelete