Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Tough Climb Up Flume Slide


After several inches of new snow yesterday it looked like it would be another day of hiking in fresh loose snow. The plan for today was a hike up the very steep Flume Slide Trail to Franconia Ridge Trail then up to Mount Flume (4,328') over to Mount Liberty (4,459') and down Liberty Spring Trail. I would be joining hiking friends Jill, Mark, Guy, Jim, Amy and Robin for this challenging hike. The forecast called for clear skies and cold temps. I was hoping it would be cold enough to keep the snow from balling up on our traction.

We would be meeting at the north bound Basin parking area. On my drive to Franconia Notch there were sections of roads that had a thin coat of snow and ice. The trucks were out plowing and salting. I was the first one to arrive but within minutes the rest of the group arrived. It was the usual dilemma of what to wear for traction. As we started out on the bike path there was several inches of new snow. I started in snowshoes and others wore microspikes.

We turned off onto a bushwhack to the Liberty Spring Trail and the first obstacle was a water crossing on a log, very awkward with the snowshoes. It was not long before I swapped the snowshoes for my trail crampons because it became annoying with the rocks that were not completely covered with snow. There were several water crossings that would have been tricky with snowshoes.

We turned onto the Flume Slide Trail and it was a very easy and pleasant hike for 2.6 miles with many small brook crossings. As we started the steep climb I decided to change back to snowshoes. I'm not sure that was a good idea but I didn't seem to be getting a good bite with my trail crampons in the several inches of snow. The snowshoes seemed a little better until the trail got very steep. By that time I was not about to change my traction again and kept going.

I was now at the back of the group and was finding it very difficult along certain sections. There was one ice bulge that I walked around and then there was a lot of tree hugging. There were also some areas when you just had to have faith in your traction and other places that I was crawling up on my hands and knees. It was very tough going. As I got closer to the top of the trail I started to develop thigh cramps. Although they were painful I pushed through and got to the top where the trail junction is located with the Osseo Trail going right and the Franconia Ridge Trail goes left. Everyone was waiting at the trail junction.

We headed up the Franconia Ridge Trail to the summit of Mount Flume. The trail follows the edge of the top of the slide and with fresh, loose snow it was a little tricky. We stayed for only a few minutes before moving on to Mount Liberty. This was very tough for me because I was still bothered by the thigh cramps. Every step was excrutiating.

It's during times like this that you find out what you're made of. This is where the mind takes over and will either make you succeed or break you. I never once thought that these very painful cramps would keep me from completing the hike as quitting was not an option. There was still four miles to go in either direction. I fought through the pain and just kept going!

Mark and Jill fell back from the group and stayed just ahead of me as I was slowly plodding along. I was moving slowly and stopped often. At the same time I drank some electrolyte fluids that helped ease the cramps just a bit but enough to keep me going. The cramps were worse when ascending. I knew the worst pain was coming as I started up from the col to the summit of Mount Liberty.

I popped up onto the summit and everyone was there waiting. I had something to eat and drank some more electrolytes. I took some photos while I rested. There was a cold breeze blowing but it was quite tolerable. It was soon time to start our descent and I was now feeling better. I knew my thighs would be less painful on the way down.

We made our way to the trail junction and turned down the Liberty Spring Trail. It was a quick hike down and trail conditions continued to be soft and loose snow. We took the bushwhack back to the bike path and were soon at the parking area.

I found today's hike to be tough and challenging. The final 0.7 mile steep climb up the Flume Slide Trail was very difficult but I persevered through the painful thigh cramps. It was mid-winter hiking conditions but it cannot last much longer. I expect the trail conditions to deteriorate with the warmer weather that should be here soon.

It was great to be hiking with this group of friends again, they're always a lot of fun!

Enjoy the photos!

Early morning sky on the drive to the trailhead

Passing by Cannon with fresh snow for skiers

Starting the our hike on the bike path

Fresh snow on a brook


Log crossing on the bushwhack to the trail

There were many water crossings  on this hike

Solid snow bridge



Jim is not sure which way to go

Another water crossing

...and another water crossing

Trees have a fresh coating of snow

My one photo while on the slide

I was very glad to reach this sign at the top of the slide

Here's me standing in the same spot as the above photo to show the snow depth

Final section of trail leading up to the summit of Mount Flume

On the summit of Mount Flume

A view toward the Bonds


Standing on Mount Flume

A look back at Mount Flume

All of us on Mount Liberty

A view toward Owl's Head and the Bonds beyond

Bondcliff

Mount Lincoln

Cannon Mountain

Mount Moosilauke

Loon Mountain

Amy, Robin and Jill descending

A look back at Mount Liberty

Arriving at the Liberty Spring Trail

Robin and Amy look happy to be descending

Water crossing with a solid snow bridge

The loop is complete

Yesterday's fresh snow has been trampled by today's hikers

On the bike path back to the parking lot




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment