Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Franconia Bike Path



I had to make a trip to Plymouth, NH today and decided to throw my bike in the back of the truck. Thought I might take a short ride on the Franconia Bike Path. This is a paved bike trail that runs from The Flume parking lot up past Cannon Mountain. The secret is to pedal north so that you can "coast" back down to where you parked.


This was going to be a short ride to see what this path was like having never been on it before. My time was also limited because I had to be in Plymouth at noon. First of all the weather today was fantastic, beautiful blue sky with warm temps and low humidity. I pulled off at The Basins parking lot jumped on my bike and headed north. Usually I like to ride through the woods on single path or dirt roads. This pavement was a luxury ride!


The woods were cool and it felt great cruising along this path. The incline was gradual and there were several wooden bridges crossing a brook. I met many bicyclists riding back down. Soon I was riding through the Lafayette campground/trailhead parking lot. There were lots of people there, can't say that I blame them it was such a great day. I rode a bit further until it was time to turn around and head back down.


One has to be careful not to get carried away with building up too much speed, it would be very easy to become quickly out-of-control. There are many families with small children on bikes that use this path. I got behind one of these familes and while it slowed me down I didn't mind other than the fact that I was under a time constraint.


When there's more time I will definitely be returning to this bike path so that I can enjoy the entire length.

No comments:

Post a Comment