Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Mount Potash


Another hot, sultry day in the forecast and I was looking for another short hike. A quick review of the 52 With a View list to see what I needed and decided to hike Mount Potash. This is a four mile round trip hike and I would get and early start to try and beat the heat.

I was not the only one getting an early start. When I pulled into the trailhead parking lot there were several cars ahead of me. My welcoming committee was waiting when I arrived. Mosquitoes were swarming around the windows taunting me to get out. I had a welcoming gift for them, my new Thermacell mosquito repeller. I hadn't used it yet and thought this hike would be a good test.

When I got out of the car I was covered in mosquitoes. I fired up the Thermacell while I was getting ready. I put the device in the side order of my pack and hit the trail quickly. It takes several minutes for the Thermacell to heat up so I was well on my way before I stopped to make some adjustments. I wasn't sure if it was working or there just wasn't any flying, biting insects along this section of trail.

The water was very low in the Downes Brook and it was an easy crossing. The trail is an easy, gradual climb but the heat and humidity was thick even with my early start of 6:30. I got to the first views along the trail and being in the direct sunshine was very hot so I kept moving.

The last section to the summit is steep ledge and would probably be quite slippery if wet. Didn't have to worry about that today and I walked up over them without a problem. There was no doubt about where the summit was located, there was an X painted on the granite summit. I was the first and only one up there this morning.

I took off my pack and started to walk around the summit to take some photos. The black flies started to swarm and bite. When I went back to my pack where I had the Thermacell there were no bugs  around. I sat there to relax and cool off before starting back down...bug free!

I spent about a half hour on the summit enjoying the views before starting my descent. It wasn't long before I saw my first hiker of the day and there would be many more as I made my way down. It was a pleasant hike back down to the parking lot.

Hikers were still arriving and I was very glad that I got an early start because it was really heating up by now. It was also nice to have had the summit to myself and I found the Thermacell Repeller to work very well!

The heat wave is expected to go on for another several days so I will be checking the 52 With a View list and looking for some more short hikes until the heat and humidity passes.

Enjoy the photos and video!

 Just before sunrise driving through Jackson

 Just after sunrise on the Bear Notch Road

 The GRIDMAN hiketh

 Heading up the trail

 Easy water crossing

 Downes Brook

 The trail crosses a logging road

Gonna need to find another tree for this blaze

Trailside burl

Lots of lady slippers blooming along the trail

Trail follows ledge slabs

A view of Mount Passaconaway from the trail

View under a scorching sun

Underside of a mushroom

Stubborn tree

Nice views along this section of trail

Another view from the trail


Open ledges along the trail

Very hot on these open ledges

Climbing ledges toward the summit

Going straight up

Unidentified wildflower

X marks the spot at the summit


Mount Passaconaway

Mount Whiteface

East Sleeper

Tripyramids

Steep ledges on Mount Passaconaway

Mount Chocorua

Gnarly mushroom

Lady Slipper

Spider web in the middle of the trail with a big spider at face level 

White admiral butterfly

The parking lot is in sight

Heading home

The Thermacell Mosquito Repeller worked well keeping the black flies and mosquitoes away




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment