Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, June 27, 2020

Mount Carrigain on a Warm June Morning


I wanted to take advantage of the weather before the return of heat and humidity. So it was back to hiking a 4,000 footer today, my last one was almost a month ago. I planned on getting an early start so that I would at least maybe get some cooler temps on the ascent.

I arrived at the parking area and found lots of parking available but I knew that would change over the course of the day as this is a very popular hike. When I got out of my car the mosquitoes attacked and they were fierce. I quickly got myself ready and was soon on the trail. As long as I was moving the biting bugs weren't bad but once stopped they were immediately on me.

As I moved up the trail the mosquitoes slacked off. It was quite warm and there was no breeze and I was sweating profusely. I did enjoy a slight breeze on Signal Ridge and continued on up to the summit. There were three ladies that quickly passed by me. The third one had a small pack on her back and carrying a sleeping baby on the front of her. That was impressive especially at the pace they were moving!

I reached the summit and quickly climbed up the tower while no one was there. It was nice to have high thin clouds overhead to provide some relief from direct sunlight. I was able to get a few photos and video before I was joined by another hiker. I was done and let him have the tower to himself. At the bottom of the tower the black flies were relentless. I grabbed something quick to eat and started my descent.

On the way down there were many hikers coming up. I did my best to social distance myself from them but it was tough in some places where the trail was narrow so I would stick my head as far off the trail as I could. As I got closer to the trailhead the number of hikers dropped off but the mosquitoes picked up and I continued a quick pace to stay ahead of them.

I arrived back at the trailhead to find the parking lot overflowing with vehicles as I expected. The mosquitoes didn't disappoint, they were there to greet me back from my hike. A quick change of clothes and I was on my way home. Only my second 4,000 foot summit for the month of June so it was great to hike Mount Carrigain today!

Enjoy the photos and video!

 The hike starts here

 Whiteface Brook

 Easy water crossing

 An area of old beaver activity with lots of mosquitoes

 Blooming bunchberry

 Crooked tree

 Bog bridge


 A view from the trail

 First view from Signal Ridge

 On Signal Ridge

 Vose Spur

 Labrador tea

 The summit is up ahead

 Ring around the sun

 Signal Ridge from the summit

 Tripyramids

 Osceolas

 Hancocks

 Franconia Ridge

 Presidentials

 Looking down from the top of the summit observation tower

Not doing Desolation Trail on this hike

Looking straight down from Signal Ridge

 A patch of labrador tea

 Heading back down from Signal Ridge

 Rock hopping descent

 Tree beside the trail is completely charred



 Tree swallowing a rock

 This blowdown at just the right height to make me groan going under

 Tree capturing a rock

Back at the trailhead




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment