Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Up and Down to Mount Pierce


My initial hiking plan for today was Mount Pierce and Mount Jackson. My early start was thwarted by a vehicle mechanical problem and I returned later with another vehicle. It was now late morning and I decided to hike only Mount Pierce (4,310'). I'll go back to Jackson on another day.

By the time I returned the only available parking was beside the road. I was soon on the Crawford Path heading up to the summit of Mount Pierce. The trail was very wet from recent rain with sections that were quite muddy. There were lots of hikers along the way, not surprising as it was a beautiful day.

A large group of hikers were on the summit when I arrived. I took a quick pic of the summit cairn in between all of the people and then started my descent. Lots of hikers were lounging in the sun as I made my way down off the summit. It was a great day for basking but I kept going.

I thought I was taking my time being careful not to slip on the wet trail but I was passing many hikers. I slipped and fell twice on last weekend's hike and wanted to avoid that again. There were many hikers still coming up the trail. It was a quick trip down. Back on Route 302 there were many more cars parked along the road.

This was half the hike I was planning on doing but I was glad to have gotten at least one summit. Did the out and back today in three and a half hours. It was my 11th time on Mount Pierce for the grid. One more time in October and I'll have this summit gridded out!

Enjoy the photos!

 Saw a bear and 3 cubs beside the road on the way to the trailhead

 These cubs find  a hole in the fence

 The sun punching through early morning fog

 Clouds over the Presidential summits

 The hike starts here

 It's a good year for mushrooms


 Gibbs Brook dam

 Gibbs Falls

 Indian pipes and a mushroom

 This mushroom appears to be hovering in the air


 Bluebead lily

 Leaves are starting to turn

 Crawford Path was very wet and muddy

Always enjoy the first view from Crawford Path

A view of the Presidentials

 Hikers can be seen on the top of Mount Eisenhower

Mount Pierce summit cairn

 Starting my descent

Mount Eisenhower

Mount Monroe

 Lady bug




Wet trail





Crooked tree

Gibbs Brook



Tree burl


Clouds have cleared off the Presidentials

Looking back at Mount Eisenhower and Pierce



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment