Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Field and Willey on a Fine Summer Day


A check of the weather showed a nice stretch of perfect days in the forecast with cooler temps and dry air. I looked to see what I needed for August. It had been awhile since I'd done Field and Willey and thought that would be a nice hike for today. I already had Mount Tom for this month so it would only be the two summits and of course Mount Avalon. My hiking route would take me up the Avalon Trail continuing on the A-Z Trail to the Willey Range Trail over Mount Field (4,340') and Mount Willey (4,285') then return on the same trail to the Avalon Trail with a quick stop at Mount Avalon on the way down.

It was a very cool start with a temperature of 39°F as I was leaving the house just after daylight. There was a beautiful sunrise as I made my way over Gorham hill on Route 2. The high summits were clear and I could sense it was going to be a beautiful day. I arrived at the Crawford Depot and there was still some available parking.

I started out with a fleece layer as it was still cool. About a mile down the trail I went to short sleeves. It was almost like a Fall morning in the woods. I got to the Mount Tom spur trail and took a short break. I've hiked Mount Tom in August so I continued on to the Willey Range Trail. I enjoy hiking this trail as it is a gradual climb up to Mount Field.

When I reached the summit of Mount Field I had the place to myself but not for long. This was a popular hike today and I met a steady stream of hikers along the trail. After a few photos I was on my way to Mount Willey. It was still cool and the temps were very comfortable for hiking. As I got closer to the summit of Willey the views started opening up. It was blue sky and cumulus clouds above the mountain scenery.

I would not be alone on the summit of Mount Willey. The summit cairn is right beside the trail and it was tight quarters with eight of us hikers there. I moved on to the Mount Willey outlook and enjoyed spectacular views. Once again I was not alone and hikers were coming and going. After some more photos I started my return hike.

It was up and over the Mount Willey summit and back to Mount Field. My descent from Mount Field would take me down the Avalon Trail to Mount Avalon. It's a short 100 yard spur trail to the summit of Mount Avalon and it is worth the trip up there. I ate my lunch while enjoying the views from this summit.

On the way back down the Avalon Trail I took the side trail to Pearl and Beecher Cascades. They were less than spectacular as there has been very little rain lately but it made the water crossings very easy. When I got back to Crawford Depot it was very crowded as there was a train there and cars were lining Route 302 on both sides.

It was nice and warm back at the parking lot. This was a very enjoyable hike today with comfortable temps, lots of sunshine and great views. I'm sure anyone hiking in the White Mountains today would agree that it was perfect hiking conditions. With this being the last weekend of the month it was probably my last hike for August. The summer passed by very quickly and Fall foliage season will soon be here.

Enjoy the photos!


Sun rising on my drive to the trailhead

Morning sun over the Presidential summits

Early morning at Crawford Depot

Saco Lake reflection

The hike starts here

Easy water crossings today



A-Z Trail junction


A quick break before heading up the Willey Range Trail

Willey Range Trail junction

Lots of mushrooms along the trail


Bog bridge not needed here today

Bluebead lily


View from the Willey Range Trail

View from the Mount Field outlook

Thin clouds passing by the Presidential summits

Mount Washington Hotel from Mount Field

Mount Field summit cairn


Looks like leaves are growing from this mushroom

On the way to Mount Willey

A view to the west from the Willey Range Trail

Looks like someone has been nibbling on this mushroom

 
Thought this was a weird mushroom until I got a closer look

A view into the Pemigewasset Wilderness

Zooming in on Mount Lafayette in the distance

The hind end of a burl

Mount Willey summit cairn


Crawford Notch

Mount Webster

Route 302 and the train tracks



Area of blowdowns







Crooked trees

Mount Avalon up ahead


Ledge scramble to the summit of Mount Avalon


Saco Lake from Mount Avalon

Mount Willey and Mount Field







Back at Crawford Depot


A view of the Presidential summits on my drive home







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment