Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Up Tuckerman and Down Sherburne

With another winter storm on the way and an extended period of snow forecast I thought it would be a good day for hiking and skiing. The plan was a hike up to Hermit Lake via the Tuckerman Ravine Trail and ski down the Sherburne Trail. Was not feeling up to par having had a touch of the flu this past Thursday. Woke up with a lingering monster headache today that wasn't going away and had to drag myself out of the house. I figured today's hiking and skiing would either cure me or kill me.

Looking at the ravines from Pinkham Notch Parking lot

Geared up and heading out

Pinkham Notch Avalanche info

A fork in the road - I took it

Cutler River - frozen

Got a late start and the parking lot was almost full when I got to Pinkham Notch. Ended up parking down at the opposite end of where I would ski out. Tried a different way of attaching my skis and boots to my pack. It actually felt pretty good but sure didn't make them any lighter. I finally got heading up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail at 10:40.

Wildcat through the trees

Headin' up Tuckerman Ravine Trail

It was a slow slog and I took my time but still found myself passing a lot of people. There were many heading up on skis with skins. I was one of the few carrying skis. The trail was well packed and I put on the microspikes for some added traction.

Caretaker Cabin at Hermit Lake

Tuckerman Ravine - obscured

Getting ready to ski down

I was actually starting to feel better and was glad I forced myself outside today. It took me almost two hours to reach Hermit Lake, slow but sure. I had something to eat and changed into my ski boots. Snow was starting to fall and the temperature was dropping. There was a low cloud ceiling and Tuckerman Ravine was obscured. There would be no summit photos today.

Avalanche info at Hermit Lake

Sherburne Ski Trail

Looking at Wildcat from Sherburne Trail

Looking up the Sherburne Trail

First-Aid Cache on Sherburne Trail

With skis on I made my way over to the Sherburne Trail. I pushed off and was on my way down. The trail started out narrow and flat with some nicely packed powder. There was only a few icy spots and for the most part the trail was in great condition all the way down.

I made several stops along the way to take in the limited views and snap a few photos. It took about 30 minutes to ski back down to the parking lot. Of course I was at the opposite end from where I had parked. Not a problem, I took off my skis and started walking.

End of the trail
By the time I got back to my vehicle there was a moderate amount of snow falling but really wasn't accumulating. I noticed my earlier headache was gone and I was feeling almost normal again. It's amazing what a little walk in the fresh air will do for you.

Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment