Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, June 9, 2019

Up and Down Cannon via Kinsman Ridge Trail


Summits: Cannon Mountain (4,100')
Trail route: Kinsman Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Mostly dry ground with just a few areas of running water and mud
Weather: Cool morning temps quickly warming up with full sunshine and lots of blue sky
Total miles: 4.2
Total time:  3:15

The spectacular weather forecast was continuing into Sunday. I was looking for a short hike that I needed for the month of June and Cannon was a good choice. Kinsman Ridge Trail is my favorite way up to the summit and there's some great views along the way.

It was a cool start but quickly warmed up. The trail was in good shape with minimal mud and water. I saw no snow or ice anywhere along the way. Up on the summit there was just a very slight breeze. I was hoping for a little more wind to keep the sweat down and the bugs away but no such luck.

The trip down was good other than a lot more flying biting insects. I managed to keep a fast enough pace to keep ahead of most of the bugs. There were a lot of hikers coming up as I was going down. I arrived back at the trailhead  as a large group of what looked like AMC trail workers were just getting ready to go up.

This was a very enjoyable hike today with both trail and weather conditions just about what I expected. Today was the first hike I've done this year that I did not see any snow. It was also the first time this year that I did not have any winter gear, no microspikes, gaiters or snowshoes. I'm hoping this trend of no snow or ice on the trails continues. It was a long winter and it would appear that it's finally over!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Sunrise on the drive to the trailhead

My hiking destination is in sight

On my way

The hike starts here

A welcoming burl at the beginning of the hike 

Lots of trail erosion

Crossing the glade ski trail

Crossing the glade trail again

A view from the trail

Third glade trail crossing

Fourth glad trail crossing

One more time crossing the glade

Tram car is stopped at the tower

A view of Franconia Ridge from an outlook

A look down I93

Cannon summit observation tower up ahead

The only painted trillium I saw during the entire hike

At the Rim Trail Loop

Summit tram building

Looking through the building at the chairlift on the other side

Heading up to the summit tower

On the Rim Trail

Starting my descent

Common serviceberry

A muddy section

A view to the other side of the notch
Echo Lake down below

Carefully coming down a smooth ledge

More trail erosion

Back at the beginning after 4.2 miles





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment