Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Hiking Up Into the Clouds on Garfield


The weather forecast seemed to be all over the place. With the temps and humidity increasing on Sunday I decided to get out early today and beat any afternoon showers. I would be hiking Mount Garfield this morning. This is one of my favorite hikes. It's a nice, gradual gain in elevation to spectacular views on the summit.

It was looking rather gray and gloomy on my drive to the trailhead. I did manage to catch the sunrise between the clouds. When I got a glimpse of Mount Garfield from Twin Mountain, NH I could see that it had a cloud hovering on the summit. I was hoping it would clear by the time I got up there.

I arrived at the parking area and found some available parking. I was soon on the trail. The sky looked threatening and there was the feeling of rain in the air. As I reached the upper part of the trail rain drops started falling. The rain was very light and I debated about putting on my rain gear. I finally stopped and put my waterproof cover on the pack and put on my waterproof jacket. This was uncomfortable as it was warm and humid but I didn't want to have to put them on in a sudden downpour.

The last steep section to the summit was very warm and humid. Up on the summit there was a cool wind blowing and light precipitation so it felt a little better but it was also completely cloud covered with no views at all. A quick photo and video of the low visibilty and I was on my way back down. My only thought at this point was to get the waterproof jacket off. I was getting just as wet from sweat as I would if it was off and raining. I stopped and took it off.

There was a lot of hikers coming up as I was going down. The light rain stopped and it was getting warmer. It was a quick trip down and I was glad I got an early start. Back at the parking area there were cars lined up and down the road which would account for the number of hikers that I had seen.

I've done this hike several times and have seen the spectacular views at the summit. This was not one of those days. Today was all about the hike and not the views although there was lots of interesting mushrooms to look at along the way. There will be future hikes to this summit and no doubt better days to enjoy the views.

Enjoy the photos and video!

Sunrise on the drive to the trailhead

A look back at the sun from Gorham Hill

Cloud hovering over Mount Garfield

The hike starts here

Blowdown

Lots of mushrooms alongside the trail today

Looks like a jellfish


Low water

Mister Mushroom and Minnie Me

Burl

Unique tree design

Group of 'shrooms

Mushroom with a bullseye

Toad hiding in plain sight

Wood sorrel

Getting close to the summit

On the summit

Descending from the summit

Red trillium past bloom

Another unique tree design



Hanging blowdown

Back at the trailhead after 10 miles in 4 hours and 57 minutes





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment