Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Kinsmans via Mount Kinsman Trail


After not hiking for the past two weeks I was anxious to get back out on the trail. A persistent case of viral bronchitis had been keeping me down but I was feeling much better and ready for a hike. I had not been to the Kinsmans in awhile and I thought this would be a good hike to get me back on my feet again. My route would take me up the Mount Kinsman Trail to the Kinsman Ridge Trail and over North Kinsman then South Kinsman and back out on the same trails. Fair weather was in the forecast for the weekend.

Shortly after leaving the house I drove by a moose in a mud hole that did not want anything to do with me taking his photo and tromped off into the brush. It was a pleasant drive to the trailhead  with all the summits in the clear. I've done this hike a couple of times and always manage to get twisted up and lose my way on the back roads leading to the trailhead. Today was no different. I got myself straightened out and found my way to the parking area.

I was the second vehicle there but a few more cars pulled in while I was getting ready. I was soon on my way on this cool, comfortable morning. When I reached the spur path to Bald Peak I went down to shorts and short sleeves as it was getting much warmer. Two hikers passed me while I was making the change. I would see them again during the hike.

A little further up the trail is an old blowdown with a large root system. I wanted to try a little photography experiment. I took several photos of myself in different openings in the roots. When I got home I would layer and blend the photos to create one that showed me in three different openings at the same time. For a novice photographer like myself it was quite successful and came out just the way I wanted.

I reached the Kinsman Ridge Trail junction and got my first views of the day of Cannon Mountain and the Franconia Ridge. There were high clouds above but the summits were in the clear. I turned and headed up to North Kinsman. There were more hikers on the trail that were coming up from the Fishin' Jimmy Trail. I made a quick stop at the outlook on North Kinsman before venturing on to South Kinsman.

I was seeing more and more hikers along the way as I expected I would on such a nice day. When I arrived at the South Kinsman summit there was a cool breeze blowing and I added a layer. There were many hikers up here. I stood at the summit cairn and got a panoramic video and some photos then started my return trip. I stopped at what I call the false summit. It was during my first hike to these summits during a heavy cloud cover and low visibilty that I thought this spot was the actual summit. I turned back from here only to find out later that this was not the summit. I returned two weeks later on a clear day and found the actual summit.

After eating a sandwich I continued my return hike. I saw many more hikers. There were many people on the North Kinsman outlook so I went by without stopping and started my descent as it was all downhill from here. When I turned onto the Mt Kinsman Trail the number of hikers dropped off dramatically. It started warming up nicely and was a pleasant hike down. I decided not to visit Bald Peak today so I kept on hiking past the spur path.

Sunny, warm and buggy when I arrived back at the parking lot. I felt very tired on the last mile as I was still fighting off the last remnants of bronchitis. It was nice to be back on the trail after two weeks of no hiking. I changed and headed home. Sure enough I got lost again finding my way back to I-93. I've now committed to memory a few landmarks that will help me find my way in and out of here the next time I hike this trail.

There were many blooming lupines on the drive home which made me think of one last note of interest. This was the first hike this year that there was no snow or ice along the trail. I'm not a fan of hot weather but after a long, cold winter of hiking I'm enjoying the bare trails, warmth and a lighter pack!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

 Saw this moose alongside the road on the way to my hike


 Passing by Madison and Adams

A view of Cannon Mountain on my way to the trailhead

 The hike starts here

 Bunchberry

 Sugar shack

 Not sure which one is winning...the tree or the rock

 Heading up the trail

 Lots of wildflowers blooming today

 Water crossing

 Water cascade

 Another easy water crossing


 Starflower


 A bunch of jokers beside the trail

 Miniature mossy forest

 Mossy tree trunk

 Mossy forest




 Burl with a brim

 Cannon Mountain summit tower

 Mount Lafayette

 Kinsman Ridge Trail junction

 Hiking up ledges

 Short steep climb

 A view from North Kinsman

 Franconia Ridge

 Lonesome Lake

 A view of the southern Franconia Ridge

 South Kinsman

 Mount Garfield and Presidential summits in the distance

 On the way to South Kinsman

 More views from the trail



 A crooked tree

 Bluebead lily before blooming

 On the summit of South Kinsman

 South Kinsman summit cairn

 Franconia Ridge from South Kinsman

 Lunch break

 Descending North Kinsman

 Steep drop

A last view before descending the Mt Kinsman Trail

Old blowdown

A group of Lady Slippers


Greenery

Almost back

Back at the trailhead

Saw these lupines in bloom on the drive home







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment