Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, June 16, 2018

A Hike Up Hale


A last minute decision had me choosing a short hike instead of a long one today. My initial hiking plan was a long hike to Mount Isolation but some health issues had me doing the short hike to Mount Hale (4,054') up the Hale Brook Trail. The weather forecast was calling for hot temps with some wind. This is an easy 4.4 mile round trip hike.

I arrived at the trailhead and had to park along Zealand Road as the parking lot was already full. It didn't take long for the black flies to find me when I stepped out of the car. When I started up the trail I never had another problem with black flies or mosquitoes as long as I kept moving. As I got closer to the summit the wind picked up and helped keep the flying insects down.

I reached the summit and it was getting quite crowded. The summit cairn was full of young hikers so I moved off to the further side of the summit and took a short break. There are no views up here so after a snack and a few selfie pics I started my descent.

It was an uneventful hike back down. I reached the trailhead after two hours and fifty minutes from starting my hike. During my hike today I kept thinking about my last hike to this summit back in January. Zealand Road was closed and it was a ten mile hike. The temperature was -24°F below zero! While I'm not a fan of hot weather I am enjoying the recent warmer temps after a very cold and long winter.

My health issues caused me no problems and I was glad to have done the shorter hike today rather than the long one. It felt good to get out on the trail!

Enjoy the pics!

 Mount Willard on the drive to the trailhead

 Mount Hale from Zealand Road

 The hike starts here

 Gnarly tree

 Water crossing

 Lady slipper and bluebead lily

 Not much water flow in this brook

 Mount Hale Trail

 Summit is up ahead


 Standing at the Fire Warden's Trail on the summit

 Land-A-Hand Trail at the summit

 Bunchberries blooming on the summit

 Young pine cones

 Obstructed view

 A zoomed in Mount Washington from the trail

 Tree burl

 Hale Brook

 Back at the trailhead

Low water in the Zealand River


Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment