Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Isolation via Rocky Branch


I was up and out the door this morning at zero dark thirty. Today would be a solo hike out and back to Mount Isolation (4,003') on the Rocky Branch Trail, a long hike but relatively easy. A cloudy day and warm temps with afternoon showers was in the forecast. I was hoping the early start would get me back before the showers arrived.

The moon kept showing itself through the increasing cloud cover on my drive to the trailhead. I pulled into a dark and empty parking lot. The headlamp came out and I got my gear together. I was soon taking my first steps on a 7.2 mile hike to Mount Isolation (14.4.miles round trip). The air was still and it was very dark and quiet. After about a mile into the hike the trail brightened up and I was able to turn off the headlamp.

There was a dark cloud cover and it made for a gloomy hike through the woods. I came to the first water crossing of the day and there was no problem rock hopping to the other side which brought me up to the Isolation Trail. There would be four more water crossings and they were all easily crossed. The trail was a different story as there was plenty of water and mud to navigate through.

I reached the Davis Path and the trail conditions were much better from here to the summit. So far I had seen no other hikers and I had the summit to myself. The cloud cover was low and the views minimal. There would be no views of the Presidential summits today. I spent a few moments on the summit before beginning the 7.2 miles back to the trailhead.

As I made my return trip along the Davis Path I met the first hikers of the day after 8 miles. From here I would meet many hikers all the way back. Shortly after hiking along the Isolation Trail I rounded a bend in the trail and saw a familiar face. It was Ryan whom I've hiked with before and his new hiking companion Cooper, a Rottweiler/Pitbull mix and a very friendly pup. Ryan and Cooper were on their way to Mount Isolation and knowing he's got a fast pace I thought they would be passing me on their way back.

Back on the Rocky Branch Trail I continued to meet hikers on their way up to the summit. From the final water crossing I had forgotten there would be a continual gradual relentless incline up to the trail before going back down again. Toward the end of the trail the bright yellow leaves lit up the path. I started feeling a bit of rain as I got back to the parking lot.

I had only been back for five minutes when Ryan and Cooper popped out of the woods. They did the 14.4 mile round trip hike in 5 hours, it took me 8 hours! Ryan told me he had a bear encounter about a mile back up the trail. The bear had gotten within 15 feet of him. Cooper apparently didn't see the bear and they eventually went their seperate ways. I had just passed that way but never saw or heard anything. Just as well, I've had my one bear encounter on the trail.

As I was changing clothes a steady drizzle started to fall. I would call that perfect timing and the reason I got an early start. Today was all about the hike and definitely not the views!

Enjoy the photos!

 A dark start

 Still dark

Looks like a big woodpecker has been busy

Rocky Branch Trail

 Stepping into the Dry River Wilderness

Stepping stones on the trail

 Very easy water crossings

 Turning onto the Isolation Trail

Coming up on another water crossing

 Another easy water crossing

 Clear sky to the south

 Turning onto the Davis Path

 The final 125 yards to the summit

On the summit of Mount Isolation

 A view to the east

A view of the Doubleheads

A view to the west

 A shrouded view before my descent

Mossy forest

 Met Ryan and Cooper on the trail

Small brook crossing


 Hobblebush berries

 More water crossings on the way out





Large mushroom

 The bright leaves brightened the trail


Turkey tail mushroom

Captured rock

Back at the trailhead after 8 hours and 14.4 miles





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment