Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Thursday, October 15, 2020

Windy Morning on the Osceolas


Summits: Mount Osceola (4,340'), East Osceola (4,156')
Trail route: Mount Osceola Trail
Trail conditions: Wet
Weather: Cool to warm, windy and sunny
Total miles: 8.4
Total time:  5:14

My initial plan for today was a hike to Mount Lafayette and Mount Lincoln. After perusing the weather reports there were high winds in the forecast and being exposed above treeline for an extended period of time is not where I wanted to be. The Osceolas are well protected from the wind and needed them for October.

I arrived at the Osceola parking lot and was the second one there. The wind was already blowing when I stepped out and I was glad to have changed my hike to below treeline. The cool breeze was constant all the way to the summit and it was bordering on cold on the open ledge at the top of Mount Osceola even in the sunshine. I had the summit to myself and after a brief stop I continued on to East Osceola.

I dropped down off the summit and made my way down the bypass around the chimney. It was here that I met my first hiker of the day returning from East Osceola. We talked breifly then went our seperate ways. I ascended East Osceola and also had this summit to myself but not for a long as another hiker passed by. I stayed here long enough to get the obligatory summit cairn pic and then began my return trip to Mount Osceola.

On the way back I decided to go up the bypass as there was some water coming down the chimney and I had just climbed this back in August. On my return to Mount Osceola I crossed over the summit without stopping once again having the place to myself but that was short-lived as a small group was arriving as I started my descent. It was all downhill from here.

When I reached the herd path bushwhack to Middle Peak I saw the hiker I had met earlier at the chimney. She was just about to start her hike out to that summit for the Trailwrights list. We again talked briefly and went our seperate ways. I passed many hikers coming up on my way down. The trail was wet today with a few slippery spots but I managed to keep from slipping or falling.

I arrived back at the trailhead to a parking lot full of vehicles and lined up and down the road, a very popular hike today. I'm glad I changed my hiking plans as the winds on Franconia Ridge would have exceeded my tolerance and comfort level. It was a beautiful day for hike to the Osceolas!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Venus over Franconia Ridge early this morning

The hike starts here

A view from the trail

Wet trail

On the windy summit of  Mount Osceola

East Osceola

Tripyramids

Mount Chocorua and the Sisters

East Osceola summit

Mount Washington


View from an outlook along the trail to East Osceola

Descending

On my way to East Osceola

Looking down the chimney

On the summit of East Osceola

On my way back to Mount Osceola

West view from East Osceola

North view

With high winds in the forecast I decided not to hike Lincoln and Lafayette today

Arrow slide on North Hancock

Looking up the chimney

Looking up the bypass around the chimney

Mount Osceola summit up ahead

Crossing the Mount Osceola summit and it's all downhill from here

Spruce grouse wandered onto the trail

Tree anomaly

Back at the trailhead




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment