Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Thursday, October 1, 2020

Loop Hike Up Tuckerman Ravine Down Lion Head


A beautiful Fall day was in the forecast and I wanted to get out for another hike this week. I decided to do one of my favorite local non-summit loop hikes. Depending on how I felt with my continued conditioning and strengthening I would hike up to Hermit Lake then on to the floor of Tuckerman Ravine and if feeling well head up the headwall and around and down Lion Head.

I arrived at Pinkham Notch and there was plenty of parking available, thanks to it being a weekday. I started up in that crisp, cool Fall air with lots of color on the trail. A quick stop at Crystal Cascades for a pic then kept on going. I saw very few hikers.

I stopped briefly at the Hermit Lake Cabin. I was feeling good and kept on going up into the ravine. Fair weather clouds were moving quickly high over the headwall. I reached the floor of the ravine and was still feeling good so I slowly made my way up the headwall. There was a few areas of water running across and down the trail but for the most part it was surprisingly dry after the rain that fell yesterday.

I made it to the top of the headwall and there was no turning back from here. I turned onto the Alpine Garden Trail across to the Lion Head Trail. It was all downhill from here. There was a cool wind blowing and I added a layer. Once I got down below treeline it warmed up nicely and the layers came off. I completed the loop when I reached the Tuckerman Ravine Trail.

I passed hikers along the way but not the crowds I was expecting even if it was a weekday. It was a nice hike back down. I was not expecting to make it up around the loop but I'm continuing to make good progress and felt good after the hike. It was great to be out on the trail on this Fall day!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

No avalanches to worry about today

Water flow after recent rain

Lots o' sun today

Crystal cascade

Hobblebush




Heading up to the ravine

Approaching the headwall

Below the headwall

Heading up

Asters still in bloom

A look back down

Continuing up

A view down the ravine

Aster

Water running across the trail

Almost at the top of the headwall

Top of the Tuckerman Headwall

At the Alpine Garden Trail junction

Mount Washington


Heading down Lion Head Trail

A view into Tuckerman Ravine from Lion Head

Looking straight from Lion Head

Somebody forgot their 55 gallon drum

Lion Head and Tuckerman Ravine

View from the trail

Hermit Lake

A view into Pinkham Notch

Helpful ladder


Colorful trail on the way out






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!





1 comment:

  1. Very remarkable views! I'm not sure that I could handle that climb. Walking, on streets, is a lot different than hiking at those elevations! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete