Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, July 4, 2020

Mount Madison on the Fourth of July


Summit: Mount Madison (5,367')
Trail route: Lowe's Path, King Ravine, Chemin Des Dames, Airline, Airline Cutoff, Osgood Trail, Valley Way
Trail conditions: A variety of dry, wet and muddy
Weather: Warm, humid, sunshine to start, cool and breezy on the summit, warm on the way down
Total miles: 9.5
Total time:  8:20

The Fourth of July and I would be hiking to one of the Presidential summits, Mount Madison. I would be starting my hike with Robin, Jill, Amy, Jim, Scott and Lisa. Robin needed one of the Adams summits so they would be going straight up King Ravine. I would be cutting off on a side trail from the bottom of the ravine and heading over to solo hike Madison.

It was a warm and humid start on Lowe's Path. Once we got on the King Ravine Trail the air seemed cooler. There were some water crossings to get through with one a little tricky due to recent rain. Both Canyon and Mossy Falls were spectacular.

Just past Mossy Fall the trail went up over ledges and boulders to the floor of the ravine. There is an incredible view around the ravine with spectacular waterfalls coming down over the steep walls of the ravine. We arrived at the trail junction and I turned left onto the Chemin Des Dames Trail and on to my solo hike up Mount Madison. It was a very steep climb out of the ravine!

It was a short hike along Airline to the Airline Cutoff over to Madison Hut. When I arrived at the hut I saw a nice spot in the shade and took a break. I cooled off and had something to eat before climbing Madison. I felt refreshed after my break and started my climb to the summit as many hikers were coming down.

At the summit of Mount Madison I enjoyed a cool breeze almost requiring a long sleeve layer. There many hikers basking on the summit, it was a great afternoon for that. I wasn't staying long and soon began my descent. On the way down I could see a wedding about to be performed over at Star Lake. When I reached the hut I just kept going down on the Valley Way trail.

It is 3.8 miles to the Appalachia parking lot from Madison Hut. The top section of trail was very wet and required cautious footing to prevent any unwanted slipping. This made my pace very slow but it was worth it and I moved on down the trail and back to the parking lot without slipping or falling.

I thought my fellow hikers that I started the hike with would be out before me but they did 12 miles to my 9.5 miles. I waited and they came out an hour and a half after I did. We all had a very adventurous hike this Independence Day!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

 Mount Madison on my drive to the hike

 The hike starts here

 Single file on Lowe's Path

 Amy and Robing thinking about the hike ahead of us


 A very gnarly tree

 Gnarly burl



 Lisa and Jim on one of several water crossings

 Recent rain created spectacular waterfalls


 Amy and Jill on another water crossing

 Lisa about to get her boots wet

 Amy finds a dry way across this swollen brook

 Blue bead lily

 Recent rain creates beautiful waterfalls



First view of King Ravine

Passing between large boulders

View from King Ravine Trail

Trail junction from the floor of the ravine

King Ravine

 Waterfall coming down the wall of the ravine

 Parting ways

 I'm going this way

Labrador tea

 A look back

 Looking down

Back into some shade while climbing out of the ravine

 Alpine azaleas

 A tight squeeze so the pack comes off

 Almost out of the ravine

 Mountain sandwort

On Airline

The top of King Ravine

 Looking up at Adams

On my way to Madison Hut

Madison Hut

Labrador tea

View of Mount Washington as I ascend Mount Madison

Almost at the summit

Mount Washington from Mount Madison summit

Mount Adams

Northern view

The Wildcats

Descending Madison

Wedding about to be performed at Star Lake

Descending Valley Way


View from Valley Way


Last view at treeline


Large blowdown




Snyder Brook

Almost out

Back at the trailhead







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment