Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Thursday, June 25, 2020

Table Mountain


Finally the heat and humidity broke overnight. Today I would be hiking another summit on the 52 With a View list. The trailhead is on the Bear Notch Road that I passed by on my previous hike to Mount Potash and thought this would be a good next hike.

I got an early start and was the first one there this morning. The parking area is tricky to get into and would not want to try it with a low clearance vehicle. I was soon on the trail and on my way up to the summit.

I was really enjoying the cool temperature and low humidity. It was a gradual easy hike up to just before the first ledges where the trail got a little steep and loose. The views from the open ledges was spectacular.

As I kept going up there was a snake stretched out across the trail probably trying to warm up from the overnight cool temps. When I went to step over the snake it instantly coiled and struck at me. I was glad that it was a garter snake which is non-venomous like all snakes in New Hampshire although there is one small area in the state that has timber rattlesnakes.

Continuing up after my snake encounter there was a section of trail that was steep, loose gravel. Between the loose gravel and steep ledges this trail would be difficult in wet weather. The spur path to the summit bears off to the left of the main trail and is narrow. Two sticks forming an X marked the viewless summit. I did not see any reason to linger and I was soon on my way down.

It was a pleasant trip back down to the trailhead. I saw no other hikers on the trail this morning and had the entire hike to myself but they started arriving as soon as I reached my car. There were three small groups that hit the trail before I left the parking lot to drive home.

I added another summit to my 52 With a View list. Hoping the weather cooperates so that I might get a 4,000 footer done before the end of June!

Enjoy the photos and video!

 The hike starts here

 Easy water crossing

 Blowdown

 Tree eating a rock

 Tree tentacles engulf a rock

 Hollow log

 Burl

 There's light up ahead

 Moving to the cairn up ahead

 First view from the trail

 Mount Chocorua

 Reindeer lichen

 Garter snake...one of the reasons to look down when hiking

 When I tried to step across the snake it went into strike mode

 More light up ahead

 More views from the trail


Very loose and slippery gravel along the edge of this cliff

A small pond far below

An area of clear cut logging

 The spur path to the summit turns off to the left

 X marks the spot

 On the summit

 Trillium bloom gone by

 Looks like a 3D rock puzzle

 Louisville Brook cascade



Back at the trailhead




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment