Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Thursday, June 18, 2020

Mount Pemigewasset


On this very warm June morning I was looking for a short hike. I have no short hikes to any of my remaining 4,000 foot peaks for for June so I decided to hike a 52 with a View summit. After not hiking for the past couple of weeks this would be the perfect hike to get the hiking legs back on a hot day.

I arrived at the Flume parking lot and there were several vehicles already there in the vicinity of the trailhead. The temperature was already getting warm as I headed out on the trail. I passed through three tunnels, one under Route 3, the next under I-93 North and the third under I-93 south.

It was a gradual ascent but the air was very warm and very still. I don't do well in hot weather and this slowed my pace. I was glad to reach the trail junction and it was a short path to the summit.

The trails on the summit are spectacular and I can see why this is on the 52 with a View list. I momentarily had the summit to myself before other hikers started arriving. After a few photos I started my descent.

It was a pleasant hike down and I was glad to have gotten an early start as it was quite hot when I arrived back at the parking lot. With a heat wave in the forecast over the next several days I'll probably be looking for more 52 with a View hikes!

Enjoy the photos and video!

 The hike starts here

 The first of three tunnels

 Nice new bridge

 Second tunnel under north bound I-93

 Third tunnel under south bound I-93

 Trailside burl

Trail junction just before the summit

Approaching the summit ledges

A view to the east

A view south

A view to the west

The ledge at the summit

That's a long drop off the edge of that ledge

Somebody's home?

Cool refreshing brook

Mount Pemigewasset

Saw this large black bear on Cannon Mountain on the drive home

A black bear can be seen on the right side of the Cannon Mountain ski slope





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment