Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, February 16, 2020

White and Gray on the Kinsmans


Summit: North Kinsman (4,293'), South Kinsman (4,358')
Trail route: Mt. Kinsman Trail, Kinsman Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Packed snow, slightly loose
Weather: Temps in the 20's, cloudy
Total miles: 10
Total time: 6:10

I chose today for my hike as it was a bit warmer than yesterday with the temperature Saturday morning at the house being -27°F. Although cloudy the temperature was much more tolerable this morning. This would be a solo hike today and I would be using my favorite trail to these two summits, the Mt. Kinsman Trail.

A dark start and very slippery roads from some light overnight snow with only about an inch but made the roads very slick. I took my time and the further south I traveled the roads became better. When I arrived at the trailhead it did not look like there had been any new snow here. I walked over to check the trail and it was well packed. I would be starting out in microspikes and carrying the snowshoes.

Just past the Bald Peak spur trail I swapped microspikes for snowshoes. It was a toss-up of which traction to wear. The snow was getting looser and I wanted the added bite of the snowshoes as well as the televators for the steeper sections of trail up ahead.

I arrived at the Kinsman Ridge Trail to find the Franconia Ridge in the clouds but Cannon Mountain was in the clear and I could see the summit tower. I continued on up to the summit of North Kinsman and found myself in a world of white and gray. There was a heavy coating of snow and rime ice on the trees and the summit was cloaked in gray. I went to the outlook for a photo without views then continued on to South Kinsman.

The trails today were what I considered to be in excellent condition. Rocks, roots and ledges were completely covered in snow and it made the hiking easy. I arrived at the summit of South Kinsman and found the same white and gray conditions without any views. There was a cold wind here and I did not linger. This was my turn around point and I was soon on my way back to North Kinsman.

Back on North Kinsman the conditions were the same and I started my descent to the parking lot, it was all downhill from here. I kept the snowshoes on until reaching the Bald Peak spur and changed to microspikes. Two more miles and I was back at the parking lot.

Although it was cloudy and there were no views I did enjoy the trail conditions and temps which made the hike very enjoyable today.

Enjoy the photos!


 The hike starts here

 Passing by the sugar shack


 Frozen waterfall

 Solid water crossing

 Two miles into the hike at the Bald Peak Trail junction

 Winding through snow-covered trees

 Easy under blowdown

Trail troll

 Snow covered burl

 More snow as I gain elevation

Almost to the Kinsman Ridge Trail

 Arriving at the Kinsman Ridge trail

 Cannon Mountain

 Cannon Mountain summit observation tower through a hazy gray

 On my way to South Kinsman

 South Kinsman is out there in the clouds

 Frosty trees

White and gray on South Kinsman

South Kinsman summit in the clouds

Frozen throne

View from South Kinsman

Heading back to North Kinsman

 Snow-coated tree branches

 Snow in the crook of a tree

Tunnel under several blowdowns

 Ice chunks hanging off of limbs

 Snow and rime ice covers a treetop

 A view from the trail on descent

Another blowdown

 Passing by the sugar shack

Back at the trailhead


Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment