Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, September 7, 2019

Mount Cabot in September



Summit: Mount Cabot (4,170')
Trail route: York Pond Trail, Bunnell Notch Trail, Kilkenny Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Dry with some wet and muddy sections
Weather: Started cool, cool with a slight breeze on the summit, warm on the way down
Total miles: 10
Total time:  5:30

The weather seemed to have a great deal of uncertainty. With Hurricane Dorian passing off the coast of New England there were overnight showers and early morning showers in the forecast then more showers for later in the afternoon. I checked the radar when I got up this morning and saw a band of showers moving across New Hampshire but dissipating as they got closer. I decided to go for it as there had been no rain so far.

This is a short drive for me, only fifteen minutes to the trailhead from my house. There were four cars ahead of me at the small parking area and I parked beside the road. I was soon on the trail and it wasn't long before I was walking through thick, low growth across the trail. I was thinking that this would have been a very wet hike had there been overnight rain. With a cloud cover there wasn't even morning dew and I stayed dry.

For the most part the trail was dry and the water level was low so no problem with crossing. Saw my first hiker when I got to the old Mt. Cabot Trail junction. I arrived at Bunnell Rock and got a great view. I could see the clouds clearing from the west.

I stopped briefly at the Cabot cabin and chatted with some other hikers before moving on to the summit. At the viewpoint above the cabin I could see more clearing from the west and a cloud cover to the east. I continued on to the summit.

There were more hikers arriving while I was at the summit. I didn't stay long and was soon on my way back down. I stopped to eat my sandwich outside the hut before continuing my descent.

It was a pleasant hike down and I saw many more hikers along the way. The weather turned out to be better than I was expecting and there wasn't even a drop of rain although it looked rather threatening toward the end of the hike.

With cooler temps and leaves starting to change the harbingers of Fall were obvious, it won't be long until Autumn arrives!

Enjoy the photos and video!

 The hike starts here

Bridge over water crossing

  White asters

 Blue asters

 Goldenrod

Turning onto the Bunnell Notch Trail

 Mount Cabot

 Talus field high up on Mount Cabot

 Clover

All Heal (Prunella vulgaris)

Wild berries

 Low water on the crossings


 Agaricus arvensis

 Up close

 Turning onto the Kilkenny Ridge Trail

 A view from the trail

 View from Bunnell Rock

 High summits in the distance

 A lone indian pipe

 Mount Cabot privy

 Clouds to the east

 Clearing to the west

 Common yarrow

 Blue bead lily

 Mount Cabot summit

 Summit signs

 Window reflection at the Cabot cabin

 Mount Cabot cabin

 Descending

 Reindeer lichen

 Granite state

 Hobblebush turning color



 Another lone indian pipe

 Wide path

 Trail is overgrown with ferns

 Wildflowers were covered with bees through this section

Back at the trailhead




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment