Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Long Drive and Short Hike to Tecumseh


Summit: Mount Tecumseh (3,997')
Trail route: Mount Tecumseh Trail
Trail conditions: Dry
Weather: Warm start, warm and breezy on the summit, starting to get hot on the way down
Total miles: 5
Total time:  3:15

A short hike so a short narrative. The round trip drive was actually longer than the hike. The forecast was calling for a warm day with sunny skies. I needed to complete some outside chores around the house this weekend before cooler weather sets in so this would be the perfect short hike that I needed for September.

I started my drive to the trailhead in the dark. As it started to brighten up I could see that most of the summits were in the clouds. South of Franconia Notch the sky was clear. I arrived at the Waterville Valley parking lot to find some hikers were ahead of me.

The temperature was warming up and I was soon in shorts and short sleeves. It was a pleasant hike up and as I suspected there were hikers on the summit. The views were hazy as it continued to get warmer. A few photos and I started my descent. Just as I left the summit I took a herd path that led to a view that I hadn't seen before. A few more pics and I continued my hike down.

There were many hikers coming up as I was descending. I was glad to have gotten an early start as it was getting very warm. The hike down was just as pleasant as the hike up. Back at the parking lot I could see that the trail was going to get crowded as there were many more hikers just starting their hike.

This was my ninth time in nine different months that I've hiked to this summit. Three more times and I will have hiked Mount Tecumseh in every month. This would be my last hike of the summer as Fall will be arriving in two days. I'm looking forward to hiking in the crisp, cool air of Autumn!

Enjoy the photos!

 Hike starts here

 Nothing but dust in this water crossing

 Bent tree

 Found some water

 Looks like this ski trail needs a trim

 View from the ski slope

 First of many stone steps

 A fork in the trail but both lead to the summit

Asters holding onto their bloom

Partial view from the trail

View from the summit of the Tripyramids

Osceolas

Looking past three hazy ridgelines to the Presidential ridge in the distance


Mount Osceola

East Osceola

North Tripyramid

A view toward the Waterville Valley ski area

Ski slope and chairlifts

A herd path on the summit leads to this view

Cones covered in pitch

Passing by the ski slope view

Back at the trailhead

Waterville Valley ski trails and Mount Tecumseh


Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment