Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, August 24, 2019

Mount Moriah in August


Summit: Mount Moriah (4,049')
Trail route: Carter-Moriah Trail
Trail conditions: Dry with some wet and muddy sections
Weather: Started cool, cool with a slight breeze on the summit, warm on the way down
Total miles: 9
Total time:  5:25

The weather reports leading up to the weekend were forecasting spectacular weather for both Saturday and Sunday. Just before leaving for the trailhead this morning the latest weather report was forecasting cloudy skies with slow clearing by the afternoon. At least there was no rain in the forecast. As I drove to the trailhead I could see that the high summits were in the clouds and that included Mount Moriah, my destination for today. I was hoping that by mid-morning the clouds would start lifting.

I parked on Bangor Street and was soon on my way up the trail. It was a nice cool morning, a pleasant change from the heat and humidity that I have been experiencing this summer on other hikes. I was feeling very tired at the start of this hike. Earlier this week I was on vacation in Panama City Beach, Florida. Then I returned to work on Thursday and Friday so it was taking me awhile to become acclimated to the hike after not having hiked for a couple of weeks. It would get better on the way back down.

There were a few hikers that passed me on the way up and I met a few coming down from the summit. As I passed over Mount Surprise I could see that the high summits were still in the clouds and they did not look like they would be clearing any time soon. As I approached the summit I was into the mist of the clouds and there was a cool breeze blowing. There would be no views today. I had the summit to myself for a moment but other hikers soon arrived. It was not a day for lingering and basking so after a few minutes I started my descent.

During my descent there were many hikers on their way up. The temperature was warming up and it was a good trip down. I arrived back at the parking area to find it full which didn't surprise me with all the hikers I saw going up. I was glad to have gotten an early start.

This was the eighth time in eight different months that I have hiked this summit and I now have four more times/months to grid it out. Today almost felt like a Fall hike which was a reminder that Fall is not far off and that summer is quickly coming to an end.

Enjoy the photos and video!

 Clouds on the high summits

 Sun rising into a cloud cover

 The hike starts here 

 Bright leaves on this plant

 Mushrooms were out along the trail

 A brief view of the Presidential ridge between an overcast and undercast

 Clouds cover the Presidential summits

 Leaves starting to turn

 Another mushroom

 Asters

 Not a day for falling off the bog bridge

 "Alien" mushroom

Passing through a blowdown

 Lots of indian pipes seen along the trail

 More indian pipes

 Approaching the summit

 Sun breaking through the cloud cover on the summit

 Another mushroom

 Back across the bog bridge

 More mushrooms

 Descending the ledges

 Brain-like fungus

 Wet section of trail

 Saw lots of blueberries along the ledges

Seeds about to drop off

 Reindeer lichen

Blue bead lily

 And one more mushroom

 Fern forest

Met the usual familiar burls along the trail

Tree anomaly

Big burl

Dropping down to the trailhead at the end of the hike





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment