Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, August 3, 2019

Morning Hike to Mount Jefferson


Summits: Mount Jefferson (5,712')
Trail route: Caps Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Dry
Weather: Started cool, cool and windy on the summit, warm to hot on the way down
Total miles: 5
Total time:  4:35

I have been dealing with plantar fasciitis for about the past month and it has recently become particularly bothersome. So today I was looking for a short hike that would give my Dr. Scholl's insoles a test. I needed Mount Jefferson for August and the Caps Ridge Trail makes it a short hike to the summit.

I got to the trailhead early but was not the first one there. Other hikers were already on the trail and I would meet some of them as they came back down. It was a cool start but the sun came up over Mount Jefferson as I reached the Caps and it started to warm up.

As I got closer to the summit the wind picked up and the temperature dropped a little. Just below the summit I put on my windbreaker. There were hikers already on the summit. I went up as they were leaving and had the summit to myself for a few moments as other hikers were right behind me. It was not a morning for basking as there was a chilly wind blowing. At the last minute this morning I had thrown my gloves in the pack and almost had to use them. As I started my decent it began to warm up again.

Down past the Caps it was really starting to heat up. I was very glad to have gotten an early start as I saw hikers coming up that were sweating profusely in the warmer temps. I was not surprised to see that the parking lot was full when I arrived back at the trailhead. Hikers were still arriving as I was leaving.

This was a great hike to give my insoles a test and they did a great job. While my heel was still hurting after the hike it was not bad compared to previous hikes. I'll plan a longer hike next time and hope my foot continues to improve!

Enjoy the photos and video!

 Here comes the sun

 A fox ran out in front of me on Valley Road

 The hike starts here

 Old bog bridges

 First view from the trail

 Potholes in ledge

 Looking up to my destination

 Emerging indian pipe

 Passing by the Link Trail

 Asters

 First Cap up ahead

 Presidential summits cast a shadow as the sun rises

 Looking at the next Cap from the first Cap

 Here comes the sun...again

 View from a Cap

Sun rising higher and summit shadow getting shorter



Presidential ridge 

 Mount Washington

 On the summit of Mount Jefferson

 Mount Adams in the distance

Mountain sandwort

 Heading back down

 Approaching the first Cap on the way down

Cairn with a view

Dropping down onto another Cap

Rocky perch

 Sun through high clouds

 Passing over the last Cap on descent

 A look back up to Mount Jefferson

 Arriving back to a full parking lot

Trailhead kiosk

One last view of Mount Jefferson on the drive home





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment